Author Topic: A little tip (Silica gel)  (Read 574 times)

Offline bluez

• Trade Count: (0)
A little tip (Silica gel)
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:49:14 PM »
Inside packages with electronics there are usually small bags of silica gel is placed to absore water.  Around a year ago, i loaded some 30-30 ammo. I decided to put a small bag with silica gel in one of the boxes. When i opened and looked inside a few days ago, i discovered that the ammo with the silica  still looks completely new, with shinny brass.  :)

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: A little tip (Silica gel)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
May I suggest that if you loaded other ammo at the same time and did not put any SILICA GEL in with them and they have tarnished then you may need a better place to store your ammo.

I have ammo (both factory new and reloads by me) that has been stored over 15yrs and the brass still looks as it did the day I stored it.
They are just in an ordinary cabnet but the temperature is constant year round with no dampness.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
I've been saving and using them things for years.I keep them close to anything that might rust.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
I believe they can be heated - gently - to drive off the absorbed moisture and reused.  Any confirmation on that?

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Yes they can be reused. There are commercial sizes, that get reused.  I have some old bags of desiccant labeled "Desicite" by Filtrol. They weigh about 1.5 lb. and the reactivation directions are printed on the bag.  245-275 deg F. for 12 hours. If I'm in a hurry, I have even microwaved them. I don't think that the little ones that we find in product packaging would take that much time and temp. I think that when the wife is done baking and the oven is still warm I would put them in until it cools off.

Offline bluez

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »
May I suggest that if you loaded other ammo at the same time and did not put any SILICA GEL in with them and they have tarnished then you may need a better place to store your ammo.

I have ammo (both factory new and reloads by me) that has been stored over 15yrs and the brass still looks as it did the day I stored it.
They are just in an ordinary cabnet but the temperature is constant year round with no dampness.

I am storing all my ammo reloading gear in my basement (i have to), it seems there is a little more humidity than i expected. However usually i spend most of my ammo in a year or so. 

I have just bought a few of this on ebay :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ST-COBALT-FREE-INDICATING-SILICA-GEL-DESICCANT-100g-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb2967542QQitemZ200564700482QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100

They change to green @ 60% moisture

BTW i found out that the smaller bags only need only15 minutes in around 200 deg c.

LONGTOM
[/quote]