Author Topic: Slings on Handi  (Read 538 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Slings on Handi
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:04:29 PM »
Since Handi's are so temperamental about forearm pressure, what's the experience using a tight sling for shooting?  The factory swivel lug location... a couple inches forward of the lug screw.  I have an O ring installed between the barrel and forearm.  Thanks.

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Slings on Handi
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:13:18 AM »
I use a SAFARI sling from cabellas item #IK220723. I was concerend about the same issues with a stanard sling,  but I never had any problems with this set-up. dan

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 06:09:27 AM »
Ya know, I was observing this just yesterday when my son and I went to the range for a shooting session.
 I use the RTV bedding system for the forearm, with a set screw under the forearm screw so the forearm tention and bedding is the same each time we remove/install.

It's always advised when benching these things to bag just ahead of the trigger guard, yet Dustin was using the forearm on the bags and not always in exactly the same place. Sometimes with his hand under it and sometimes with the forearm on the bags and that 223 shot the same sweet groups and point of impact.

Point is,  I believe if the forearm is set-up to be in the same place and and there isn't a difference in the tention of the screw, in other words the forearm issues are stable, you can do just about anything you want. The trouble happens when that thing is wobbling around, loose, and/or changing position all the time.

Keep in mind that field accuracy is going to be a bit differant than bench stuff but for hunting/plinking your right where ya need to be.
found elsewhere

Offline oldfort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 06:14:51 AM »
I just got the .45LC Buffalo Classic Carbine and reamed it to .454. I added a Kick Killer leather lace-up pad. For the sling, I installed a post in the stock through the pad laces, and use a barrel band for the front swivel. I made a non ajustable sling from 1" soft rein leather and Chicago Screws, but I only use a sling to carry, not to shoot.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Only way to tell how yours is going to act is to try it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974