Author Topic: Case trim length for 7-30 Waters  (Read 655 times)

Offline The Famous Grouse

• Trade Count: (2)
Case trim length for 7-30 Waters
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »
Folks, I'm finding conflicting information on what the length of the trimmed case should be for the 7-30 Waters.  This is probably a classic case of internet info overload, but I need to custom order a case length guide from Lee and obviously I need to state the trimmed length I need.

I've found the following:
- Trim cases to 2.025

But I've also found:
- Cases should be trimmed to 2.030

Now I realize we're talking about .005, but anytime I find conflicting info it makes me wonder if either source knows what they're talking about. 

So what's the final word?  Is either of these numbers right or are the both wrong?  What length should the case be trimmed to for the 7-30 Waters? 

If it matters, this is for a Contender handgun, 14 inch barrel.  I'm shooting RP fireformed brass.

Thanks for the help. 

Grouse

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Case trim length for 7-30 Waters
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
I don't know about the "trim to length", but I trim all of my cases to the maximum length stated as maximum length. (!)...

For my 7-30 Waters that is 2.040"...

I have never completely understood the "trim to length".  Why trim the neck shorter?  I like all of the neck contact with the bullet that I can get as I seat my bullets as near the rifling as I can and still try to maintain one caliber length in the case neck--not always possible...

(A custom made very tight chamber may be an exception)...

In all honesty, I don't know why you need a case length guide at all.  I have not one and I reload for 21 cartridges.  But I do have a very good set of Sterrett calipers...

Good-luck...BCB

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »
Appreciate the reply.

The case length guide is for the Lee case trimmer, not for measuing the case length.

I'm with you in that I find the terms people throw around confusing.  What I'm looking for is the length that the cases should be trimmed to.  How that relates to maximum overall case length, I'm not sure. 

Presumably, I would think the trimmed length would be slightly less than the maximum length so you could get more than one loading between trimmings.  If I just trimmed to the max length, then the cases would be over length after 1 firing.

Anyone else have any insight?

Grouse

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:28 PM »
  My Contender manual shows a trim to length of 2.030.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:17 AM »
  My Contender manual shows a trim to length of 2.030.

Does the manual say what the maximum allowable length is?  I've found everything between 2.030 and 2.040 for max length.

I can't see trimming to 2.030 if that's essentially the max, so they will require a trim after every firing.

Grouse

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:11 AM »
I bought new fed.brass and trimmed them to the trim to length of 2.030 and they shoot real good out of my 14"contender. Max is 2.040 for the 7-30

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:35 AM »
Now that combination of trim length and max length makes sense to me.   I think I'm going to have the case length guide made for a trim length of 2.025 just for a little extra room.  The 7-30 does seem to me to stretch brass faster than anything else I own.

Thanks.

Grouse

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »
 I don't have my notes at work but when I had a contender cases that would fit it would not fit my 94 . So it seems gun determines the OAL. That may be the reason for different OAL mesurements.
As for trimming , if you don't and you crimp you will either crush longer cases or not get a proper crimp on shorter ones . either way accuracy will be affected. My experince with 7X30 cases is they tend to streach alot. As for bearing , in a SS what does it matter ? In a lever gun the crimp will secure the bullet from movement in and out .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !