Author Topic: Lee crimping die...  (Read 709 times)

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Lee crimping die...
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:28 PM »
  Just bought a set of Lee .257RBT`S Die set. In the instructions it states." Bullets do not need a crimp groove, as the crimp Die will form one while crimping. Always thought you had to have a crimping grove when a bullet is crimped in place?? Anyhow, I am loading for a 7600 using a 100gr.Bullet. Would it be wise to use the Crimping Die??? I haven`t reloaded for at least 30 years and man how stuff has changed!!!!

Offline shot1

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lee crimping die...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:50:04 AM »
Yes the Lee Factory Crimp Die can be used with bullets the do not have a crimp groove. They have fingers that close in on the neck of the case to squeeze the case mouth into the bullet. With your rifle I would try it. I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on a number of the old military rifles that I load for and I have been very pleased with the accuracy. It actually increases the accuracy of the load in rifles that have long throats where because of magazine limitation of OAL you can't get close to the lands. The only way for you to know is to try it. Be sure to compare loads only change being one is crimped and the other is not. With the action of a semi-auto or pump the danger that you always face is having the bullet be driven back into the case as it hits the feed ramp etc. and that can cause really high pressures and can damage the rifle. One tip I have learned and will pass on to you. Do not trim your cases to the suggested trim to length. Leave them 5 thousands longer than the trim to length. This will give you enough case length for the crimping fingers to get a good bite on the case. If you trim to the trim to length sometimes the fingers actually almost miss the case mouth.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:16:04 AM »
Lee's rifle collet type crimping die is a great tool .  It's just a tool, people who understand how to use it properly love it; those who don't often come to hate it.  It IS adjustable and mashing the maximum amount of possible crimp into any cartridge is rarely good.   Set it for a light crimp and all will be well.  Over-do it and you will damage your bullets a bit - but that won't be the die's fault, will it?   
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline Ron/Pa.

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
   Thanks guys... I use factory Winchester 117gr. roundnose +p. There is a little bit of lead shaved off when it hits the ramp. I`m hoping that the 100 grainers will work a little better.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
" There is a little bit of lead shaved off when it hits the ramp. I`m hoping that the 100 grainers will work a little better. "

Well, the crimper won't help or hurt.  ??
Common sense is an uncommon virtue