Author Topic: load development  (Read 371 times)

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
load development
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
   In your guys' experience, which has a greater affect on accuracy, seating depth or powder charge? And do you start with one seating depth and adjust the charge to find a good load, or adjust the seating depth and keep the charge constant?
 I want to try to keep my tail chasing to a minimum. I seemed to burn a lot of powder adjusting charges first with my current loads and now, trying a different bullet, I don't want to waste even more trying the other way if it isn't more effective.

Offline chutesnreloads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: load development
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
I find a powder and charge weight it likes and then fine tune seating depth if I feel the need.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
i dont really worry about seat depth till i get a really picky rifle or am at the final stages of development.most guns shoot fine with a normal oal.i find bullet weight makes more diff than anything.match yur bullet weight to yur twist, get yur charge weight down then go for yur seat depth if yu feel the need.thats what i do

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
   In your guys' experience, which has a greater affect on accuracy, seating depth or powder charge?
Powder charge.
And do you start with one seating depth and adjust the charge to find a good load, or adjust the seating depth and keep the charge constant?
One seating depth, and adjust charge. Then like like chutesn above fine tune with seating.
 I'll pick a seating depth that fit's the clip, and still stays off the lands, say like .020 off,, or what they call an .020 jump. Then find the sweet load/node to the nearest tenth grain. Then, I'll try 5 rounds at .010 off and .030 off to see if theres a gainer.
*note; The .020 off is just a figure, it could be anything YOU choose. Generally, with some research you can find if a particular bullet likes to be close to the lands or requires a LONG jump. I've got a load for a TTSX that likes .120 off the lands, and a different bullet that likes .010 off.
 I've found this load development system to work great! :) I can usually get where I need to be with a load/bullet inside 35 rounds. And fine tune it with less than 20 more.
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-vs-ladder/4529811360

I want to try to keep my tail chasing to a minimum. I seemed to burn a lot of powder adjusting charges first with my current loads and now, trying a different bullet, I don't want to waste even more trying the other way if it isn't more effective.
The tail chasing seem's to be a never ending thing  ;D
found elsewhere