Author Topic: Syn. Stock Question  (Read 426 times)

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Syn. Stock Question
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:20:34 AM »
Hi All,

A friend just bought a 444M Handi and installed a new camo Syn. stock set.  We went to the range yesterday and he was having trouble zeroing the gun.  Since I had reccommended both the gun and the Redfield scope I was getting ready to get out my wallet and buy it from him. :P  The whole time he was shooting, about 30 rounds, I was asking him questions about scope & rail & stock tightness.  He was sure everything was good and since he is a very strong Type A person with good mechanical skills I took  him at his word.  After his last shot of the day he said, something just moved.  I looked at the gun and it had a loose stock.  He says the stock has the washer and he torqued it the point he was afraid any more might break the plastic.  I offered to retorque it at the range but he is worried that he may have already torqued it too much and that is why it is now loose.  Any thoughts on this?  I have no experience with the syn. stocks, and it is the newer type set like Gendoc & CW have.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Re: Syn. Stock Question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:04:10 AM »
Nah,
I'm sure it's just loose, that 444 kicks less than the 45/70 but she's still packs a whalop.  Can't remember if there are torque specs in the faqs or not.  A little blue loctite and about 40 ft.lbs. ought to do it.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:21:20 AM »
When a stock is installed, you must make sure the stock contour fits against the frame, if it's misaligned a little, it will seem tight, but once it's been stressed by shooting,  it may realign and then be loose. When I install a stock, I tighten the bolt finger tight, then try to turn the stock back and forth on the bolt, usually it will turn just a little and be loose again, then repeat until there's no movement to insure the stock is seated in the frame notch before final tightening.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 06:28:35 AM »
I usually tighten mine as tight as I can while "palming" the head of a ratchet. The lack of leverage keeps me form applying too much force.

I just this AM installed a couple syn sets along with swapping two laminated sets. The syns definitely compress when tightened. I don't like a nut a doesn't "torque" up tight. These syn stock bolts feel like they will never snug up. The laminated bolts snug up tight and I haven't had one loosen on me.  I also haven't had a syn loosen, but I only had two or three sets before getting these camo sets recently.

Loose stocks can definitely effect accuracy! Remember Constancy is key to accuracy, and a loose stock is not best suited for consistency.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
+1 that!, everthing has to seat in under recoil.
I would want to make sure the stockbolt didnt run out of threads just shy of tight.
I dont know about the syn, but on the wood the hole is oversize to the actual bolt shank above the threads. This is because they use a stand machine bolt. Ideally the shank and hole would closely match, but that requires turning the bolt steel stock down to a major dia. and threading, rather than 'rolled' threads' as used on std. machine bolts.
I had this very unexplained inaccuracy plague me last year. At one point, either opening or closing the action, I felt movement in the hand at wrist. AH-HA moment ensued.....
So....I wrapped some HD shipping tape (some trial & error required) to the shank and made it a snug turning fit while bolting up. Even with the bolt loose the stock doesnt shake, then tightened it up.
Good so far  ;D.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
The gremlins strike just when you think you have everything all figured out! >:(

The other day at the range I took my newly reamed 45LC to the range with a box of factory Hornady 454 Casull ammo, and after about ten shots it was all over the place and a couple of shots I could see no holes in the target.

I'm thinking what is going on?....Did I do that bad a job of reaming my chamber that I totally ruined my once one holer 45 LC to a 454 Casull scatter gun?

The scope looked tight and nothing seemed to move until I grabbed the scope and pulled rearward and noticed movement.....Ah Ha moment!

Never had that happen before and I've shot some stout loads in my other Handi's, but this was a first.

Anyway I remounted the scope rail and bedded the front half of the Weaver rail so that it would lay flush on the barrel taper, and all is well.

She shoots like a dream and better I think than she did as a 45.

Just never know when the Gremlins will come out to play.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.