Author Topic: Universal Clays same as 'Universal'?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Universal Clays same as 'Universal'?
« on: April 28, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
I have found under the bench a pound of Universal Clays that I bought to use after I ran out of Unique.  Since I still have Unique on hand I have never gotten around to opening the Universal Clays.  Now looking at Hodgdon reloading site I see 'Universal' listed and 'Clays' listed.  I assume I would use the data for 'Universal' but I'm not willing to guess at reloading data.  Is the 'old' Universal Clays' the same as the new 'Universal', just with a name change?  Thanks.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: Universal Clays same as 'Universal'?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:36:13 AM »
I'm looking in my old books and there was three Clays. I think they still make all three. I used Clays for shotshell reloading a few years back. 2004 book says Universal Clays for both pistol and shotgun. From 25ACP to 44 mag. Lists a lot of carts. with lower pressure than the traditional Hodgdon pistol powders.

I used plain Clays for light 44 mag and 38 Special for a pistol league I shot on for a couple years, 10+ years ago. I felt Clays was close to the old Red Dot. It is very clean burning as I believe all clays are. Universal Clays is used in several pistol loads.

A guy I used to shoot Trap and skeet with used International Clays. International is only listed for shotgun.

Did they drop the Clays part of Universal Clays on the newer powder?
What do you want to use it in? I'm pretty sure it is still the same esp. if it says Universal Clays on the label. Call or e-mail Hodgdon and ask.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »
 Yes, I'd email Hodgdon about this. I know the titles used to be fuzzy. The current 'Universal' is in the ballpark with Unique & rather versatile, I use it a fair amount. You could look at some older manuals & I'd think you could see the division between older titles with Universal & Clays.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:42 PM »
The full name of the powder is "Universal Clays", but is shortened to just "Universal" in a lot of data tables.  It does work very similar to Unique as far as burn rate but is  somewhat cleaner burning.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:32:16 AM »
I received a reply back from Hodgdon.  They said to use 'Universal' data for the 'Universal Clays' powder.  Universal is the new name for the powder.  Thanks guys.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!