Author Topic: Some scope questions  (Read 1298 times)

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
Some scope questions
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
For hunting and general plinking with a 22, does parallax really make a big difference. Trying to decide on a scope, I am at the fixed 4 power vs variable choice. I see a 4X32 that has parallax set at 50 yards. I see a 2-7X32 shotgun scope with parallax set to 75 yards. What difference would that make for hunting and plinking (not serious target shooting although everything through the same hole is always nice). I am also not sure what a 2x-7x really buys over a fixed 4X.

I see centerfire scopes with parallax set at 100 yards. Since the vast majority of my shooting will be at 25 - 50 yards, does this really make a difference?

I see 28mm vs 32mm (I don't think I will go larger for a 22). What difference does this make? I know the bigger sizw will let in moer light, just wondering how noticeable the difference between 28 & 32 would be.

There are so many to choose from, it is hard to decide.

Thanks, -Mike

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Some scope questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
With a 4x parallax won't be a problem. The Weaver, Leupold, and Sightron 4x scopes will work fine. A lower magnification variable will work too.  A rimfire 2x7 is a good choice. I had a Leupold compact 3x9 with an adjustable objective for parallax. I sold it and got a fixed Leupold 4x. The Weaver rimfire scopes are good for the money. Most rimfire scopes don't have lens coatings that are the same quality as mid priced centerfire scopes for light transmission.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »
Parallax only makes a difference if you like shooting tight groups... ;)

A scopes parallax setting is best when coupled with the range the firearm will be mostly used at. IE rim fires at 50 yards and shotguns at 75 and hi power rifles at 150+....

This is why I much prefer a Adjustable objective for my rim fires. Sure a hi power rifle scope can work on a rim fire, as long as your ergonomics and cheek weld are exactly the same for every shot.  ::) If you want to see what your scope has for parallax you will need a good rifle vice, set up your gun with a target at a normal range you will be shooting for group or at game. Either take a shot or make a caliber sized mark on the target. Now align the crosshairs with the bullet hole or mark on the target. now, WITH OUT MOVING THE GUN, move your head around inside the scope so you can still see the center of the crosshairs only now they are out at the extreme edges of the field of view. As you do this watch the relationship of the crosshairs and the hole/mark on the target. If you have parallax, the relationship will change. If you do not have parallax, you will NOT see the relationship change regardless of your heads position. this is of coarse an extreme test as your head will likely never fire a shot with the crosshairs at the extreme edge of the scope. But it shows how it moves.

I shoot allot of bullseye pistol competition and have found this to be a large problem when guys buy cheap scopes...

I also shot the old "Chevy truck Challenge" matches a AO scope was the difference between hitting and missing. Some of these targets where less then an inch at nearly 100 yards! Remember, this was offhand with a rim fire!

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »
What kind of gun are you putting it on?

I have a 4x28 (60 yd paralax) on my 10/22 and really like it. point and shoot. if you miss, shoot again, worst case you walk it in.

Also have a 3-9x33 EFR (AO) on a CZ452 for when I have time to get it right the first time.
Paper and empty shotgun shells don't run very fast.

Two different kinds of fun. pick one.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
additional info on this topic
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392731
interesting to see the different perspectives between the two boards. ;)
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline MikeC

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 05:17:23 AM »
I have been using on GBO for a couple years now. I just picked up a CZ 542 military trainer. I am doing research trying to gather information before choosing a scope. That is how I came across the other forum you mentioned.

I had never really understood about AO scopes and was initially toward for a fixed power Nikon Porstaff 4X32. I then looked into their 2-7, which is a shotgun scope with parallax free setting at 75 yards.   From the information I have gathered I don't want anything with a parallax free setting more than 50 Yards for this 22.

I am still looking into/gathering information about AO scopes.

I thank everyone for the help and information. Learning from the experience of others.

-Mike

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »
The AO is simply an focus adjustment. Aligning everything in the scope to what ever range the shooter requires. When properly set paralax will also bs at a minimum at that range. Efectively adjusting paralax at the same time.

A "rimfire" or a "shotgun" scope will likely work just fine for you. But generally speaking a shotgun scope will also come with heavier crosshair that may not be desireable.

Fixed power or variable is up to your needs. Generally speaking AO scopes are varaible. 

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MikeC

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
I have never seen an AO scope. If I get one and mostly hunt, can I set it at 50 yards like the non-AO rimefire scopes, and leave it there for hunting? Will the targets then be out of focus for other distances?  Will I have to fuss with the focus for every shot?. I don't with a non-AO scopes. Perhaps I just don't realize the focus is off a little with non-AO scopes.

Offline PowPow

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »
You can set it an AO on a 50 yards and it will behave like a 50 yd fixed paralax, which means it will be spot on at 50, and have an increasing paralax error as you move away from 50 in either direction.

Game-size targets from 0-80 yards should not be a problem with a setting of 50. Close up can handle the error. Farther away is trickier.
When you are shooting small stationary targets you can play with the AO setting.

I have an AO on a 22-250; 50yds to infinity. I set it on 2/3 the length of the field. If something walks out in the first 1/3, it close enough not to matter, in the second and third part of the field the erroe is minimized. Or set it on an obvious ambush point.

An accurate 22 like a CZ deserves an AO scope.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »
I agree with POW-POW. (Here is a mighty accurate CZ with a good AO scope! ;) )

I have never seen an AO scope. (1) If I get one and mostly hunt, can I set it at 50 yards like the non-AO rimfire scopes, and leave it there for hunting?

(2)Will the targets then be out of focus for other distances? 

(3) Will I have to fuss with the focus for every shot?. I don't with a non-AO scopes. Perhaps I just don't realize the focus is off a little with non-AO scopes.

1. Sure, if I do not have time, that's exactly what I do.

2. Yes, but depending on the scope, it may not be noticeable.

3. Again, If a accurate shot is whats called for, your best bet will be to set it for the range needed. But necessary, probably not. Try to center the cross-hairs when you site the gun and keep that in mind every time you shoot it.

Probably true. But again it varies with the quality of the scope. For instance I have a number of AO scopes. most are cheapest, Simmons or BSA or low end Bushnell's. these really show the focus difference when shooting at different ranges than what the adjustment ring is set at. But I also have a couple Leupold VX II's, a Bushnell 3200 and a Nikon Monarch, all with adjustable objectives. These do not show the out of focus nearly as much.

CW

NRA LIFE Member