Author Topic: Pistol to Rifle  (Read 812 times)

Offline tzimm007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pistol to Rifle
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
I just read the letters on the contender page about converting a pistol to a rifle. Sounds to me like you can change a pistol to a rifle but you can not change a rifle to a pistol without getting the 200 dollar permit. Sound right?
Thanks TJ

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Pistol to Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
I just read the letters on the contender page about converting a pistol to a rifle. Sounds to me like you can change a pistol to a rifle but you can not change a rifle to a pistol without getting the 200 dollar permit. Sound right?
Thanks TJ

Basically, because the law is based on making something more concealable. Making a pistol longer, heavier would not present a issue with concealability...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
Gotta have minimum of 16" barrel and 29" (26"?) overall length to be legal.  Even then, I wouldn't do it with anything other than a T/C, BATF is just to hard to figure out regs sometimes.  Not worth the hassle.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
Has anyone ever made a pistol out of a handi? Seems like if a Guy had a frame and barrel a couple hundred bucks to have a handi pistol would be pretty cool!

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
Has anyone ever made a pistol out of a handi? Seems like if a Guy had a frame and barrel a couple hundred bucks to have a handi pistol would be pretty cool!

Handi rifle plus $200 (plus paper work) and then have to make a pistol grip.

Much easier and cheaper to buy a T/C Contender or Encore pistol.

yooper77

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Does the pistol grip at midway not fit the handi's I think it's only 26 bucks. Ive got a topper  frame I bet I could find a 30/30 barrel to cut down and pay the ATF for less than I can find a t/c. I haven't seen one for sell for less than 500 around here but I haven't looked that hard.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
Personally, I'd just go buy a Ruger Blackhawk and be done with it.  That's what I did.  6.5 inch stainless .357.  I traded junk in on it so it didn't cost me much.  It's a nice partner for my Handi Maxi......and it shoots........better than I do. ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
Yes, it can be legally done (and I dont recommend it), too much expense and work to have a very unbalanced and ungainly (some would say ugly) piece that may or may not be of much use (accuracy in question) and may attract undue attention to you and your hobby. I wouldnt want to carry the permit and have to answer questions when all I wanted to do was use the toy.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
Geesh,

If you can do it legally and it is something you want to do, go for it. I've seen guys spend hundreds on some strange caliber conversions and other modifications just because they wanted something special. More power to them., More power to you.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
I have agree with gcrank, H&R Inc use to make one, it doesn't look like it would make a nice pistol to me, the frame is just too long.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 02:42:27 PM »
No doubt about it - down right ugly!  But so are most of Picasso's paintings, at least to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:19 PM »
And those were on the small frame H&Rs!
Every once in a while the small frame 410 long guns turn up, and what a sweet little 410 they are, and what a nice stub barrel platform for a pistol caliber or the 25-20, etc.
I believe Ed Harris had some entire replacement barrels made for his 'American Rook & Rabbit Rifle'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tzimm007

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 05:47:41 PM »
No doubt about it...that is not a good looking pistol. I would love to have a encore pistol heck I have shot and killed a couple hogs with a 460 smith and if money was no object that's what I would have. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for that hence trying to make what I have work not trying to ruffle any feathers.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 05:51:50 PM »
Larry built a Handi pistol a while back but it didn't work out so good. :-\ He ended up cutting it up and selling the usable parts.

Spanky

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
No doubt about it...that is not a good looking pistol. I would love to have a encore pistol heck I have shot and killed a couple hogs with a 460 smith and if money was no object that's what I would have. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for that hence trying to make what I have work not trying to ruffle any feathers.

If you search sites like gunbroker.com you can snag older Contender or new G2 frames for great prices. If you buy a pistol with a barrel you dont need just trade for your 30-30 Winchester barrel you want. If you are patient there are steals out there waiting to be bought up.

No feathers ruffled here just trying to help.

yooper77

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 08:52:27 AM »
If you sold it the person buying would also have to pay the tax and have paperwork before they could get the gun

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:11 AM »
i cut a  o/u  12 gage to 9 inches

like it much better now with the stock BACK on

i did consider  paying the $200 and register a frame
would cut a few barrels  of different calibers.....and retain the shoulderstock
but  16 inch shorty  is almost as good.....and  i can cross state lines

if  i registered a t/c.....it would be nice with the stock
can  you  say   ''SBR''......I LIKE THEM
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
i cut a  o/u  12 gage to 9 inches

like it much better now with the stock BACK on

i did consider  paying the $200 and register a frame
would cut a few barrels  of different calibers.....and retain the shoulderstock
but  16 inch shorty  is almost as good.....and  i can cross state lines

if  i registered a t/c.....it would be nice with the stock
can  you  say   ''SBR''......I LIKE THEM

Fed. law on a shotgun is 18".  Some states restrict it even further, if I understand correctly.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Short barreled rifle (SBR) is a legal designation in the United States, referring to a shoulder-fired, rifled firearm with a barrel length of less than 16 inches (40.6 cm) or overall length of less than 26 inches (66.0 cm). In the United States, an SBR is an item regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as an NFA firearm. In the absence of local laws prohibiting ownership, American civilians may own an SBR provided it is registered with the BATFE, and a $200 tax is paid prior to taking possession of or creating the firearm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_barreled_rifle
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:08 PM »
Not baiting you 45-70.  I had a friend once who thought the rifle length was applicable to shotguns...he barely escaped major  trouble.  Just making sure. ;)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
Not baiting you 45-70.  I had a friend once who thought the rifle length was applicable to shotguns...he barely escaped major  trouble.  Just making sure. ;)

Ben

yep  16 for rifle   18 for shot gun
over all  26 inches for either
no rifle conversions to pistol

unless you jump through the  hoops and buy the stamp

then  after all the trouble....
you can't cross state lines without written permission

i have a full auto pistol with a shoulder stock...and a muffler
$400  worth  of permitts.....just to waste a lot of  ammo
and  i jumped through the hoops

i don't recomend  it  tho....but if thats what you want
JUST DO IT RIGHT AND STAY OUT OF TROUBLE