Author Topic: probably a stupid move, but I sold most of my factory ammo today  (Read 699 times)

Offline john keyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I had accumulated quite a bit of factory ammo over the years. I always held on to it thinking I would zero it for one of my rifles or use it for my revolvers, then use the brass. well the time never came, I packed up some old scopes and knives to sell at the gun show.  I looked at all that factory ammo and grabbed it too. 
When I got to the show they had a giant sign up  NO AMMO.  I was gonna take it back to the truck but one of the guys taking tickets and checking guns bought some and they told me I could leave it there with them at the door and if I found a buyer knock yourself out.  I found one and he carted it off.

As far as all the handgun ammo goes, I magine I should have held on to it. But the rifle stuff just doesn't fit into the plan.  I have each rifle that I develop a hunting load for and a little book showing impacts at distances up to 200 yds, actual, not calculated. If we had a longer rifle range, I would have longer distances. I like to take a four wheeler so people don't have to wait for me to walk back from the 200 yds. 

So I'm trying to stave off regret but I kinda wish I had kept that pretty little box of 120 gr Accutip in .260 that I inherited when I bought a used 700 mountain.

I will concede that the load books, handloading data and available powders will not let us equal the velocity of the factory ammo.  Ain't no way and you are just kidding yourself if you think you can w/o exceeding maximum loads.  'And if you are using 20+ year old books for data....your cheatin!   ;) :D

I have a long time friend who still looks down his nose at the "lowly reloads". He really does not have a clue.  Although I admit I have cranked out my share of turds in a 20 year reloading career.
I just bought 5000 bullets and have as many primers, I feel I'm kinda set for life, I could always use more brass I reckon. but, I'm rambling.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline Savage

Re: probably a stupid move, but I sold most of my factory ammo today
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:54:46 AM »
Guess I'll keep my ammo. The kids can decide what to do with it after I'm gone. Of course , I have very little ammo.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:37 AM »
I have not shot any of my factory ammo either for quite some time. Like you, I have accumulated quite a bit in various calibers over the years. I've considered selling it off several times, but instead keep it for when I take other  folks to the range. Figure they can't sue me if a factory round blows up in their face.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
Sell ammo  ???
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »

I just bought 5000 bullets and have as many primers, I feel I'm kinda set for life, I could always use more brass I reckon. but, I'm rambling.

Either you're joking, you don't shoot enough to even bother with owning a gun, or you're planning on going belly up in the next month or two.  Instead of selling you should be buying, unless one of these options fills the bill. ??? ::)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »
This is a joke post right  ???
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »
Either you're joking, you don't shoot enough to even bother with owning a gun

Wow!  that's harsh...

John, don't let the whiny fussy posts get to you. :)

I'd guess that in this we're a lot alike.  I only need one or two loads for a particular firearm (except shotguns) and see no reason to keep factory ammo that I don't need.  I'll spend my trigger time with those few loads and I'll be just fine.

That you had managed to survive without shooting the stuff proves that your part of the world will not be sucked into a black hole now that it's gone.

You mentioned factory velocities.  Are you doing something for which that few FPS matters (if it's not an inflated number to begin with)?

Lance

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
everythings cool, hell I said it was probably a stupid move.....but yeah 5000 bullets, lets see I shoot maybe 50 rounds each trip to the range, bolt action and lever action rifles, I figure I'll be lucky if I shoot all that stuff up someday.
I'm not trying to save any guns either. I sold my 6mm and bought two .243's with the express intention of wearing em out.

I agree with everybody that has replied.  Old Syko may have talked me into buying some more. 

As far as the velocity thing goes, yeah I know dead is dead and barrel life and all that but you have to agree the loading data is lawyered up big time. that and we don't have the powder blending technology that the big boys have.

Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline uncyboo

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 05:31:30 PM »
I did the exact same thing a year ago this month.

30+ years of gun trading had accumulated alot of factory ammo for chamberings I didn't own any more and have no intention of aquiring. I had just hundreds and hundreds of rounds from 338 Win Mag to 22 Hornet and everything in between. I rented a $55 table at a gun show and left that Sunday with over $800. Used that money to help buy a couple of 204's and a bunch of components for their handloads. Not sorry at all.