Author Topic: Warranty-Bent scope tube excuse  (Read 1064 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Warranty-Bent scope tube excuse
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:54:04 AM »
After reading and posting in Lloyds Bushnell scope warranty problems thread, it appears that the excuse of having a "bent" scope tube excuse comes into play with some frequency when companies are considering honoring a warranty.

In the past I received the "bent" scope tube excuse from Weaver and my scope was returned to me. I carefully chucked it in my buddies lathe and with a dial indicator we could detect no runout.

I have since switched to buying all Leupold and Redfield Revolution made products. Anybody ever have the "bent" scope tube problem with Leupold? I am curious?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Warranty-Bent scope tube excuse
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:34 PM »
No but then I've never had to send a leupold back to the factory, even ones I bought used. In my experience leupolds just don't need warnity work very often.  ;) I'm happy with that.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:28:56 PM »
One Leupold warranty experience this past December; broken reticle on an FX-1 4x28; Josh in Customer Service fixed me up.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »
I own an older Redfield Wideview (late 70's) that has recently gone myopic on me.  Looking through it you can see the edge of the lens and instead of a round field of view, it is elliptical.  The lens has rotated in the tube.

I called Leupold.  For a $70 flat rate and $10 shipping PLUS not less than an 8-month wait, a warranty service provider to Leupold "for all Redfields" will restuff the tube and send it back, provided I ship it to them at my cost and prepaid.  I do not know if this Leupold warranty extends to the new Revolution line, but suspect it might.

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »
...a warranty service provider to Leupold "for all Redfields"...

My experience is that a "lifetime" warranty doesn't really mean your life; it really means the life of the company.
If the old Redfield ceased operations in some catastrophic legal fashion, so did the financial obligation that was called your "lifetime warranty". A few years ago, H&R1871 offered a good explanation of how they were not Harrington & Richardson on their website.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »
I own an older Redfield Wideview (late 70's) that has recently gone myopic on me.  Looking through it you can see the edge of the lens and instead of a round field of view, it is elliptical.  The lens has rotated in the tube.

I called Leupold.  For a $70 flat rate and $10 shipping PLUS not less than an 8-month wait, a warranty service provider to Leupold "for all Redfields" will restuff the tube and send it back, provided I ship it to them at my cost and prepaid.  I do not know if this Leupold warranty extends to the new Revolution line, but suspect it might.

The warranty is the same for the new Revolution line as it is for the Leupold line from my understanding. That's why I'll buy them or Leupy's.