Author Topic: Does anybody sell Commander 9mm or .38 Super slides?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Mike A.

• Trade Count: (0)
Does anybody sell Commander 9mm or .38 Super slides?
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »
I'd like to be able to convert my Kimber Custom II to a more compact 9mm or .38 Super version for carry, not permanently but on occasion.   Does anybody sell a good "Commander length" slide that could easily be fitted to a Kimber full-sized frame?  I know I can get a 9mm or .38 Super barrel from several custom sources and magazines, but wasn't sure where to get a slide.  Don't care about maker as long as it is good quality; can be blue, stainless or bright metal.

Any hints?   Recomendations?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Does anybody sell Commander 9mm or .38 Super slides?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
Mike:  I know that Caspian Arms makes slides in 9 and 38 Super but don't know if they make the Commander length.  I also think that Numrich Arms maintains listings for just about every different slide configuration made for 1911s, including 9mm and 38 Super Commander length.  I am not sure about availability but you can give them a try - you can get that info on their website.  I'm also not certain about RIA - I know they make aftermarket slides for 1911s in 38 Super but I don't know about the comander length. 

Now to ask a silly question - does Kimber make their 1911s in 9mm or 38 Super and if they do would they be willing to fit one of their uppers to your frame???

Offline Mike A.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
Thanks, Mikey.  I'm aware of Numrich's; used to visit their store in West Hurley when I lived in upstate NYS.  I'll have a look at Caspian; I think they make good stuff, or at least used to.  Numrich's used to own a company that made the 1911s that Kahr Arms now makes.  They may still sell parts.  Don't know much about Kahr, but the Numrich "Auto Ordnance" .45s were just decent quality--basic milspec 1911A1s.  The slide would be OK if Commander length; barrels not up to what I want.

Kimber does sell both 9mm and .38 Super 1911s but I don't think they will install just their slide on a gun, even a Kimber.  I'm looking for a gunsmith to install a Bar-Sto 9mm or .38 barrel in this Commander-size version; have had excellent success with their barrels.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:09:31 AM »
Mike - I would go for a Kimber 38 Super slide and a Bar-Sto barrel. I wonder if Kimber will sell you a slide you can 'smith' at home but I would none the less contact them and see what they say about installing a conversion slide.   I have owned Bar-Stos in 9mm, 38 Super and 45 and love'm.  Where did you live in upstate???

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:45:53 AM »
Vandenberg bought and installed a Caspian no roll mark slide for my Colt .38 super.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mike A.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:30:59 PM »
Mikey, I lived in Siccaway, a neighborhood of Troy. Actually I lived across the street from Troy proper, in the Town of Brunswick.  Belonged to a gun club out in Cropseyville and hunted all over that area and up in the Mohawk Valley, mostly birds and small game every weekend, coyotes out of the game seasons.  But I did take a deer every other season or so.  Lived there almost exactly 20 years, worked at HVCC.  Hunting there is definitely better than here in Southern CA, but at 68, I sure DON'T miss those winters!