Author Topic: antelope hunt in 2005  (Read 837 times)

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
antelope hunt in 2005
« on: January 13, 2004, 10:30:49 PM »
Can someone suggest a good place to book an antelope rifle hunt in 2005.Do the seasons overlap with mule deer in some states to provide a combo hunt ?
                                                                             Shooter in NY
Shooter

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
antelope hunt in 2005
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 10:28:55 AM »
:D I'm partial to Wyoming. Are you looking for a trophy animal or just a representative buck (10 to 13 inches). It's pretty easy to do a do it yourself hunt for antelope. Some areas usually have 100% drawing for tags. Otherwise you might try Montana. Colorado is a drawing with maybe a few years wait. I don't know about the other states. Costs can vary widely from area to area and state to state.

Offline shooter

• Contributor
re:antelope hunts
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 05:07:11 PM »
Freddogs,im just looking for a good example of a prong...12-15 inch is fine.Any outfitter out there in wyoming you recommend ? Also,any with set-ups over a water hole etc..We dont even have any ranges here in NY over 100 yrds.Either that or get a bullet compensating scope and a range finder....and practice at 100 yrds.
                                                                        Shooter
Shooter

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
antelope hunt in 2005
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 04:55:31 AM »
See the thread Questor's First Antelope at:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=18398

Rudy hunted with S&S Outfitters in WY and was sure pleased with the results of his hunt. I was supposed to go with him on this one but had to back out due to finances.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Antelope
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 02:24:41 PM »
Shooter
If you want a trophy, look into an out fitter.(sp) I used to hunt the "fast goat" and it is alot of fun. Check out Lusk,Wy and south its eastern Wy. The VFW, or what ever will give you a load of info. Also contact the Wy dnr or what ever they call them selves. Nebraska also has an Antelope population. This is not about seeing game, its about hitting them.
Jim

Offline SAWgunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
antelope hunt in 2005
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 05:33:48 PM »
Actually it is well known to us in Wyoming that the largest population of Pronghorn in the world is around Casper.  Definitely hunt in Eastern Wyoming.  A guide is not necessary if you can find public land in eastern WY, because the Praire Goats are everywhere.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline shooter

• Contributor
goat hunt
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 06:30:35 PM »
Guys,
    thanks for the info on the goat hunts in wyoming.
                                                                Shooter
Shooter

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
antelope hunt in 2005
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 11:20:46 AM »
:D I've never used a guide for antelope. A few years ago I shot an antelope with my contender in one of the walk on areas around Casper. I had 2 rookies with me but they filled their tags in a couple days. The chamber of commerce in most towns in Wyoming may be able to help you with a list of land owners that allow hunting for a tresspass fee. You don't have to hunt opening day to have a good hunt. I perfer to hunt a week or so later, less people spooking them around.
 If you are shooting a 30.06 or 270 or similar flat shooting caliber a 2" high zero at 100 yds should allow you to shoot dead on at least to 250yds. Many of the towns in Wyoming have rifle ranges where you can check your zero. Get a phone book for the area you want to hunt and check out hotels,sporting goods shops, rifle ranges, and talk to wildlife biologists for the areas you want to hunt.
A hunting tactic that works for me is to spot antelope far off and then find a way to sneak close behind a hill or in a ravine and then crawl into position for a shot. Antelope are always closer than you think. If it doesn't work I go looking for a different group of antelope. Take good binoculars!
Cheap long distance calling is one of the best tools to use on an antelope hunt. Observe antelope for awhile when you get out there so you can tell a large one. Good luck