Author Topic: primer problem load not firing  (Read 563 times)

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
primer problem load not firing
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »
any one had this problem with CCI primers I loaded up some 06 and out of 10 4 did not fire thought it could be gun so put barrel on another rifle and same thing. This is on a tcr 83 switched barrels to the 87 and same problem very hard dent more than enough to fire the round, then today I was shooting some 7-30 waters in a contender real hard pin strick but no fire I tried these a number of times and the dent got deeper but still no fire. loaded from same lot of primers.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Re: primer problem load not firing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
Were these primers bought from a retailer or gun show?  How old are they?  Do you have access to one more rifle to try these in?

Good luck,

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:40:44 PM »
tried in 3 different rifles, primer dent is way deeper than normal was bought at a retail store not gun show as I said I also had a misfire in another cal with the same lot of primers.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
I'ld email CCI with the lot number. Good chance they'll make it more than right. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »
How do you prime your cases? Any chance you handle primers one by one?  Could you have sizing lube, hand lotion, other, on your fingers when you handle primers?
Any other opportunity to contaminate your primers?  How / where were they stored?

I'm currently using primers I bought in 1993 and maybe some from in the 80's.  No problems.  One reason I use the Lee Auto Prime, so my fingers never touch the primers. I did contaminate some a long time ago - was a pain. Lucky I loaded in small batches.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:28:14 AM »
I had thought that a weak firing pin, improper head space (for a single shot rifle barrel), or case primer pocket cut too deeply would be contributory, but you shot them in the foot with firing pin indent being very good, so I am going with contamination in the reloading process.  Possibly case lube on the fingers or within the lubed case that ran down into the primer making it inert. 

Offline Doug B.

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »
Try a hand priming tool if you haven't already. You can feel the primer make contact with the bottom of the primer cup. I had a similar problem when priming with my RCBS Rockchucker press. Went to a hand priming tool.

Problem solved.

IMHO you would need to have your hands pretty "slathered" up with grease, lube etc to contaminate your primers to the point of FTF. Not saying it can't happen though.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI