Author Topic: Stockton Rifle  (Read 1692 times)

Offline nehuskers74

• Trade Count: (0)
Stockton Rifle
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
I'm a Civil War reenactor in Washington state. Our cavalry unit would like to get a cannon and a friend of ours sent us a article on the Stockton rifle. He said we could build it, as he has built a Parrot, moutain howitzer, and is going to start on a Whitworth. Not sure where to start looking for info or plans. Our state organization does not allow cast barrels. They have to be steel or sleeved. I'm new to the artillery thing so any info would be great. I'm also sorry for all the dumb questions I'm sure I will ask over the next few posts. Thanks

Jason Williams
1st Sgt.
14th Virginia Cavalry Co. G & K
Jason Williams
1st. Sgt/Chairman
14th Virginia Cavalry
WCWA

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Stockton Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum, nehuskers74, and you have come to the right place to get all your questions answered! No question is dumb :o if you seriously are seeking answers to something your not familiar with, so just hang on, you'll get lots of answers! Boomlover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
Do you have the machinery and skill in your group to build this from scratch or are you going to throw money at this?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
Welcome aboard ! ;D

THIS IS THE PLACE , just sit back and enjoy the unbelievable amount of knowledge on this site . 8)

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:22:07 AM »
This could be a difficult gun to find anything about.
http://artillerymanmagazine.com/Archives/2003/stockton_s03.html

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »
Jason -

WELCOME to the board! 

Do you have pictures to post of it?  We'd love to see those PLUS pictures of smoke and flame!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:54:38 AM »
sounds like a great build.   I am beating the bushes to find one. and will do so at nationals.  if there is one out there then we will find it.  or find a pic or drawings of it. 
    rick bryan

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 05:16:42 AM »

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »
nope way to big to be what is described,   

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
I must have been standing next to the person who took the photo in reply #7

Max

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
One of the two known remaining Travis guns breech veiw. Took a brass cartridge with a nipple for cap. All bronze. Works much like a WW1 37 hotchkiss gun.

Bob

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »
     Jason,   Looks like guardsgunner has posted an excellent photo of the mystery gun's breech.  While it doesn't have the flowing lines of an 1841 Bronze 6 Pdr., it will certainly be the center of attention wherever you reenact with it.  It has an interesting breech to say the least.  I bet it's plenty strong enough to handle that size cartridge.  Having just written that, I  don't want the inevitable Nay-Sayers to dissuade you or your group from going ahead with this project, based on it's modest bore diameter.

The evidence of the bore dia. of 1.25" is contained in a paragraph of Switlicks article in the The Artilleryman magazine which follows: 
    "Confederate Travis/Stockton Cannon Was Intended For General N.B. Forrest  Confederate Travis/Stockton Cannon Was Intended For General N.B. Forrest  By Matt Switlik  Spring 2003 - Vol 24, No. 2

“’Travis, still clinging to some of his old associations named the battery the ‘Stockton Cannon’ in honor of the lamented Commodore Stockton of the United States Navy. The battery consists of two rifled guns and two howitzers made of bronze, thirty six inches long, one inch and a quarter bore and weighing 150 pounds and intended only for Cavalry."

Based on empirical evidence drawn from experiments we did during development of our version of Brooke's rifling, we came to the conclusion that a rifled bore of 1.167" IS NO TOY!  Loaded with 850 grains of BP, penetration was 3/4" in a steel plate.  The photos below were the result of a proof test of the second experimental tube we rifled to check accuracy, strength and power of our proposed 1/6 scale Brooke.

The evidence of the bolt's penetration was a bit startling, even to us, for such a modest bore size.  The solid steel bolt weighed 9 oz. and the 3 oz. powder charge (Proof Load) drove it an estimated 1,500-1,600 F. P. S.

It's no toy and yours will be larger and more powerful.  If you fellows really want to do it, don't be concerned with what Anybody says.  Pursue it until complete.  We think it is unique enough to re-create and the hours of answering questions about it at public events will be lots of fun.

Tracy and Mike

The "Ugly Ducking" test fixture for Brooke rifling tests with a 9 oz. steel bolt and 3 oz. of BP.  Underground testing provided crew protection.

The 1" thick Steel Plate penetrated by the 1.167" Dia. bolt.  The piece on the dirt is the plug of plate steel displaced by the bolt.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
seacoastartillery
  I would agree with the smaller guns not being toys. We have two full size guns in 1.5 rifled shooting 1lb projectiles. They move right along usually going in farther than some of the bigger guns.
Though the Travis gun would be a eye catching novelty, it would not make a competitive gun. The gun is directed by the "Tiller" shown in the picture operating like a swivel gun being quite muzzle heavy. That is what kept it off my project list.
  The breech should be more than strong enough. The rifling was fairly fast twist and well done even though it was done in brass(bronze) The hammer and main spring are missing off this one and the trigger is broken but present.
 As far as I known there are no plans or drawings for this gun and this is the gun in Switlicks article.
Bob

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
nehuskers74
  I do have some pictures that I can email if you like.

Bob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
I would love some pics. that would be great. 

paul_bryan04@yahoo.com

Offline nehuskers74

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
Soot, that is the article I recieved.
To everyone else that is all the info we have. I do have a way to build it. A Union artillery unit is going to start work on a Whitworth and are going to build ours also. He said there is a lot we can do and will do that kind of work on both guns for trade back of detail work on ours. We don't have any plans and he suggested this site to see if you all could help with that or anyother info. Thanks to all for responding that was great!
Jason Williams
1st. Sgt/Chairman
14th Virginia Cavalry
WCWA