Author Topic: Bi Pod on my Handi  (Read 631 times)

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Bi Pod on my Handi
« on: May 15, 2011, 09:03:31 AM »
Got it from Midway for $20.99 made by Caldwell.. On sale now.... Easy to install on sling post on forend. See pic.. Nice and solid...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Bi Pod on my Handi
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:04:41 AM »
Hows it shoot?

Many have had problems with out proper bedding of the forend... (It outlined in the FAQ's.)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline rsl

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »
Shoots great. I vaporized a ground squirrel's head at the range on Friday at 100 yards. It's on a 22 mag but thought more folks would check it out on the centerfire forum.. Gonna try it on my 30/30 Handi next week..

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 06:15:26 AM »
I have bi-pods on several of my Handis, the ones I use for longer ranges.  (30-06s, 25-06).
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »
I had a Harris model many years ago and got rid of it. The zeroing was the problem. Using it on the range to dial in the scope would result in a different zero when in the field or the legs were folded when shooting.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:38:29 AM »
Wouldn't bedding the entire lenght of the forearm and mounting another sling lug to the rear of the take down screw to mount the bipod work as far as maintaining zero?

I've never owned a bipod on my rifle, but knowing how forend sensitive Handi's are, that is one reason I've never considered  owning one.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
Just another gizmo for me to have to mess with.....I sold my Harris too.
I did as well getting a good 'steady', even seated, but if one works for you, go for it.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Glockfan

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 06:28:31 PM »
I had a Harris Bipod on my .308 survivor mounted to the forearm screw - I also was unable to obtain consistent groups with it. I'm not giving up on it though. still tinkering with it. I'm gonna make a shooter out of it before its all said and done.

-dcary7

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »
I've posted both of these before.I use the long bi-pod on both of these guns.No problems holding groups or hitting out a long ways.Top gun is a 17M2 and the bottom is a 223.Leaned up against a tree,the long bi-pod is great.I also have a shorter one that will work shooting off the hood of a truck.Works for me.Slow

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 03:02:07 AM »
I like the Harris bi pod allot!!  Just wanted to inform many have had problems. Information is power.

Mounted as Slow has they will great refuse ability to cause issue.

I have used and will continue to use them on my bolt rifles.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:40:23 AM »
Attaching them way back under he forearm  could be the answer. Bedding the rifle solid fore and aft so to speak doesn't help. There is the weight involved and the change of balance when the legs are folded. Shooting of a hard surface bench versus a softer something in the field will make a difference, perhaps not with very low recoil rifles.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.