Author Topic: Makarov arsenal markings?  (Read 2087 times)

Offline baer19d

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Makarov arsenal markings?
« on: May 16, 2011, 07:28:38 AM »
I have a Makarov pistol and I need some help identifying which arsenal it was made at. I know that it was made in the Solviet Union and the other markings are a letter R with a half circle under it off set to the right, an 88, a small x, and an nk (cerelic letters). All of them are on the left side of the frame above the grip. I would appreciate any help I can get.
                     Thanks, Mike

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Makarov arsenal markings?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
Don't know anything about the markings myself, but you might go to Makarov.com and look around, there's quite a bit of info there.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Makarov arsenal markings?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
True Makarov pistols were made in the Soviet Union, East Germany, Bulgaria and China. The Russian military guns have a divided triangle inside a circle. They all have fixed sights. The Russians exported guns marked IJ70 in 9x18 (actually 9.2mm which is .365) and in 9x17 or .380 acp. These may have adj sights and a double stack magazine. These were not military guns, but for commercial sales. The IJ70s are completely serviceable guns.
  The Bulgarian guns have a 10 inside a circle. Some were marked Arsenal. The East German guns are very well made and nicely finished and may have a date in the early 1960s.  The Chinese guns are called Model 59.
  The Maks are simple, double action and robust. The barrel is pinned to the frame.  You should remove the firing pin and clean the channel. Leave it dry. You dont want a stuck forward firing pin.
   Other guns made in Hungary and Poland also use the 9x18 cartridge and are often mis-advertised as Makarov, Polish Makarov or Hungarian Makarov. They arent Makarovs but are serviceable guns.