Author Topic: Cleaner Burning  (Read 441 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cleaner Burning
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
I just through out the empty can of Unique and grabbed a new one pound off my storage shelf. As I was opening to refill my powder measure, I noted "Cleaner Burning" on the label. Pulling the old container from the trash and checking I did not find this. Is it true? Have any found Unique can no longer send smoke signals?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Cleaner Burning
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »
Beats me...I still have several cans over 20 yrs. old.  I would appreciate it if you would let us know after you try it.   :)

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
I've only been reloading for a few years so I can't give an opinion on the old Unique but the new "cleaner burning" Unique is still pretty dirty. It gives good accuracy in my .45 Colt so I have a love/hate relationship with Unique. Unique does burn clean in the .45 Colt once you get into the Ruger-T/C level loadings.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline pme166

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:12:20 AM »
Flaming dirt, is still flaming dirt.

If you get the pressures up a bit it does better, but it is still quite dirty compared to say 231.  I use a lot of it though.  I will take the ease of use and flexibility and just deal with the dirt and residue.
357 Maximum, what the 357 Magnum was in the beginning.

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
I only have experience with 2 powders, Unique and Trailboss, and of the two Unique (the new version) is definitely dirtier.  I agree with the observation of others, if you load it closer to max (higher pressures) it seems to burn a little cleaner.  I wonder if part of its dirty reputation is due to the fact that so many use Unique for light loads.  In my experience, the fouling left by Unique cleans out easily, usually with just a couple of solvent-soaked patches.  Not a big deal in my opinion.