Author Topic: Ash log too big for bandmill  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Cornbelt

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Ash log too big for bandmill
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »
  Any ideas?  Its over dia. for the saw, and more than 20' long.  If I have to, I can shorten it w/a chin saw, but anything lengthwise I can do?

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
Re: Ash log too big for bandmill
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:30:27 PM »
Man what a treasure, too bad it isn't walnut. They make some fairly reasonable price chainsaw guides these days, one I see just guides on a 2X4 nailed to the log. Ripping with a chainsaw is super slow, but I understand that there are special ripping chains available.

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:53:50 AM »
I sure envy you folks who live where hardwoods are plentiful.  Out here in the Pacific Northwest the best we can get are Doug Fir and Western Larch.  Any of the good hardwoods cost an arm and leg to buy.
That ash log sounds like manna from Heaven to me.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Cornbelt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
 Its manna alright. It came down from above. Above the 20' log, I used an 8' section to mount a sorghum mill on for a stump. Its still about 30" dia.

My bro-in-law built a house in the woods, and for the last 30 yrs has been cutting down the trees. That one was just another that "had" to go. He would have left it to rot, or given it away for firewood.

I got a place with few trees and have been planting them for 30 yrs.  Some families just don't make sense.

I hadn't thought about a rip guide for a chainsaw. We actually had one in the family archives  -30 yrs ago. Maybe its still around.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
  Why not rip it length wise with a chainsaw?  I do it when i need to, it just takes time.  Snap a chalk line along the side and use the saw, only going a couple inches deep with each pass.

DM

Offline Cornbelt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:14:31 AM »
  I'll probably do something like that. It would make it easier to get out of the holler, too.
   Too bad I don't have one of these: http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,61958.0.html

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
Cornbelt here's a nice video of one in action:

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Cornbelt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:22:12 AM »
 I like it!  Wish I knew how they were made.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:26:59 AM »
  You can find those at many farm auctions and swap meets...  Personally, i think they are waaay too slow, and there's much easier/faster ways to blow/split logs apart.  All you need is some blk. powder and cannon fuse.

Normally, i just load them on my mill, and chainsaw down the sides for the band guides to clear.  It really isn't all that big a deal.

DM

Offline Cornbelt

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
  I've used dynamite to split stuff for firewood, but for lumber a chainsaw might give a guy a little more control.