Author Topic: Shooting Chrony F-1 upgrade *Free*  (Read 1260 times)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Shooting Chrony F-1 upgrade *Free*
« on: May 17, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »
 It'll be “Free” if you have enough stuff  in your junk box, or you can pick up just a few items from Radio Shack for about $10.

The Shooting Chrony F-1 model is their basic chrony, it only displays the single shot fired over it, then the next, and the next and so on. You have to do all the recording and math for Average Spread, Standard Deviation, Extreme Spread, and others if you want that data.

The Alpha and Beta models are an upgrade and are sold as having more capabilities “on board” then the F-1 but the deal is,,
 they all have the same processor
,,coming out of the factory, you can get the F-1 to list all the info if you buy their Printer ($$) and plug it into a small 1/8” stereo jack on the side. The F-U or Functions jack. (that's what they call it)
 (also found on the remote display with the “Master” models)

* Here's the trick. You need a male 3 pole 1/8” stereo jack, some speaker wire, and a Momentary Contact switch.

The Chrony only uses the middle and base contacts of the 3 pole jack, ONLY 2 contacts are used and a 2 pole jack WILL NOT work.
 Simply solder the above mentioned connections to the Momentary Contact switch and be sure to isolate/insulate those connections.
 Plug it into the F-U (functions) jack on the chrony or the remote display, hold the momentary switch for 1 second, release and it will scroll through and display the previously unavailable info each time you push the switch.
 Please note the tip or center connection on the 3 pole isn't used for anything, it's just left blank.

Kinda neat huh!? Now you can get the top of the line info for around $100 or less on sale, or “upgrade” your current F-1 a few bucks and a little time.

p.s. info copied from “slick” on another forum, I tried it and it WORKS,, 8)  ;D
found elsewhere

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Shooting Chrony F-1 upgrade *Free*
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:40:13 PM »
This seems to me to be a lot of bother for just a little bit of good. I have the Chrony 1. I developed a simple spreadsheet on my Mac that allows me to enter all the necessary information, date, weather, temperature, powder, charge weight, bullet weight, brass make, etc., and the velocity of each shot. I print a copy of the blank spreadsheet and use that in the field to record the velocity in pencil. This goes home and is entered into the computer where it then yields high, low, average, spread, and standard deviation. It's all there and saved for posterity. I will gladly send my spreadsheet, at no charge, to anyone who runs a Mac and who has iWork as the spreadsheet is in Numbers app. My email is:
<calvon@bendbroadband.com>

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Shooting Chrony F-1 upgrade *Free*
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
Actually took me longer to make the post about it, than it took to make the gadget,  :D

I've always just used the Sheet provided with the unit and available here as a PDF;
http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_ChronyTestRecord.htm
I keep a hard copy with my load data for the round. The computer is handy but I've lost more than 1 hard drive through the years.

And  the Standard Deviation forumla is a tough one to figure on a hand calculator, here's a site where you just enter the #'s and click. (free)

http://easycalculation.com/statistics/standard-deviation.php.

The homemade switch works, too easy to make,  ;)
found elsewhere