Author Topic: ball-bearing ammo  (Read 1060 times)

Offline zoiezeus

• Trade Count: (0)
ball-bearing ammo
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
Has anyone tried using seconds/defect ball bearing for ammo. These balls are high precision and the seconds/defects only off by a .001" or so. They are usually chromed, would this hard surface damage the bore of a steel gun? I am trying to fine a source for these.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: ball-bearing ammo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
I shoot them from my 24 pounder but others are concerned that the hard bearing balls will bounce off struck objects and become dangerous due to lack of control of direction.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline zoiezeus

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
gg, do you shoot regular ball-bearings or are they seconds/defects. If they are seconds wher do you get them? Also I sent you my email did you get it?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:07:05 PM »
If they are seconds where do you get them?

I got them from a shop in Gardena, CA.  I don't remember the name or address but I do remember where they were.  I will look them up next time I am in the area.  However, you don't really need ball bearings for this.  Enco has steel balls for reasonable prices (note that the listed price is for a package, 25 in the case of 1" balls, not a single ball.)

Also I sent you my email; did you get it?

Yes, I will send the files shortly.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »
Check with places that do well pump repair, I know pumps for oil wells  have a large ball bearing in them.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »
What size balls are you looking for?   

We have the group buy steel balls in the classified for Golf ball cannons and mortars.  Also look on our link  list we have several different sources listed under cannon balls for shooting.

Offline zoiezeus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
I don't have a gun yet. So right now I'm testing the water to see what would be the best bore to get ammo easy and cheap. 1" looks like a good place to start and GG mentioned Enco and they do have balls pretty cheap. So I'll probably start there. They are 60-65c is this too hard, will it damage a steel bore (1018,4140)

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »
If they are too hard , anneal them , have a big bonfire , throw them in the middle in the evening , dig them out in the morning .

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:53:13 AM »
A buddy of mine gave me a bucket of ˝'' ball bearings that he picked up somewhere, so I use them in a couple of .50 caliber cannon that I've got. The place where I shoot has a berm with trees for the backstop on the pistol range, and though I've never had one bounce back at me, I have heard them bounce from tree trunk to tree trunk like in a pinball game.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »
Look in the sticky "Black Powder Cannon Links"  for Super Magnet Man, they have a large stock of different size balls for pretty reasonable prices.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
They are 60-65c is this too hard, will it damage a steel bore (1018,4140)

That is certainly harder than either barrel material would be but the balls are really smooth and the windage should keep the balls pretty centered as they move down the bore.  This isn't like cast iron shot in a bronze bore.  I wouldn't worry about it.

But you need to be sure your backstop will actually stop the shots.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline shred

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
FWIW, When test-firing my 3/4" bore mortar, we used a steel Enco ball bearing.  It bounced very well even off a soft wood backstop.  We were happy we decided against a steel backstop.  It sustained very little damage and could be re-used many times if you can find it.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:29 PM »
If you are shooting at something other than a dirt berm as a backstop, it is a good idea to angle it such that it will deflect the shot into the ground, not up in the air or back toward the shooter and spectators.  I have shot lots of cowboy matches where the targets were loosely hung and rocked from previous hits such that subsequent hits were deflected back toward the shooter or timer or on deck shooters.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:36:38 AM »
Everytime I use steel ball ammo, I think of the guy shooting the 50 cal rifle.

Offline illini warrior

Industrial Powder Industry
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 02:45:30 AM »
They use all kinds of steel balls for tumbler pulverizing of dry compound ingredients .... 

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:49:26 AM »
When I shot IPSC, we had to keep all steel knock downs safe between uses.  If left out, sure some damn fool would shoot them with high power rifle.  Some bullets went through...  worse was if they did not & cratered the target.  A pistol bullet could & occasionally did turn inside out in the crater & come back at the shooter.  Fortunately the shooter was not seriously injured but too close for comfort!   

Everytime I use steel ball ammo, I think of the guy shooting the 50 cal rifle.