Author Topic: Worlds worst artillery piece ?  (Read 1810 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Worlds worst artillery piece ?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »

I can't remember who named the location for this blown-up 8-Inch mortar.  I hate to think of what happened to that crew at French Fort Carillon on Lake Champlain in upstate New York when this mortar energetically disassembled.

T&M This 13inch mortar was blown up while Fort Ticonderoga was under Contenental Army control, the historian at
Ft Ti. sent a writeup on this mortar, there were two of them one was put on one of the boats as armament and blew up during practice the other blew up at the fort, here is a link to the thread scroll down and the write up is there, you just need to click on each page.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,208276.60.html

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline bluelake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 02:19:17 AM »
After snooping around on the Company of Military Historian's archives...

Out of curiosity, I visited the website and looked at the sample issue of their journal.  I was quite surprised to see my great-grandfather, John Kedgnot, mentioned on pg. 154, note #4 ; he was in the 1st MI Sharpshooters (Co. B) and was captured at Reams Station.

http://military-historians.org/company/journal/58-3/58-3.pdf

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »

H. F. Mann, mystery solved!  I just figured out how to mount his big one.  An extra set of trunnions at right angles would be just the ticket, with off-set sights, of course.

Tracy and Mike 

And you guys thought the old Infantryman was nuts for suggesting an extra set of trunnions for H. F. Mann's 8" Breechloader right?   After snooping around on the Company of Military Historian's archives, I came across this photo from a John Morris quest to I.D. Breechloading cannon.  This is one of John's photo's of the Brayton Breechloader, Model 1861.  I think Mann could have profited from an association with Mr. George Brayton.

M&T

That's the one I was thinking about.  I also remember seeing a scale model barrel with the arms attached to the side trunnions.