Author Topic: Cheap way to hold mini cannon while firing?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline carmy53

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cheap way to hold mini cannon while firing?
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
I was recently given an old Dikar .45 cal cannon. It should be coming back from sandblasting and powdercoating soon. I'd like to shoot it a few times before it goes on the shelf but I'm a little afraid that the recoil might damage the rather flimsy wooden carriage that these cannons came with. My gun range also wants me to guarantee that it won't flip over or recoil off the table so I'm trying to think of a way to fire it without using the carriage. I've thought of using pipe hangers lined with felt, screwed down in to a plywood board but I'd like some other suggestions as to some way I could hold this cannon barrel down while firing. Something cheap and easy to put together using off the shelf parts is what I had in mind since it will only be used a few times.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Cheap way to hold mini cannon while firing?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
I would lash it with rope (MANY times around) each turn around the tube do a turn around the 2x4 or 4x4 or (xxx) underneith it.  Longish 2x4 or 4x4 won't flip.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »
4 x 4 with a little work to nestle the barrel into it.  Then some hose clamps. 

Heck, if you have the stock from a percussion or flintlock single shot, hose clamp it to that and just hand hold it.  Only .45 cal.

ADDED:

In fact, if you have a semi-auto, field strip it and you could likely hose clamp the barrel to that.  Get you all sorts of looks at the range.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
I would lash it with rope (MANY times around) each turn around the tube do a turn around the 2x4 or 4x4 or (xxx) underneath it.  Longish 2x4 or 4x4 won't flip.
Duh! I have rope and 2x4's! All I have to do is add a little padding for protection of the barrel and for elevation adjustment and I'll be all set. Why do I always have to overthink a project in to some sort of engineering perfection solution when the obvious, simple solution is right in front of me.
Thanks Cat for putting me back on the road to simplicity.

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »

Why do I always have to overthink a project in to some sort of engineering perfection solution when the obvious, simple solution is right in front of me
Thanks Cat for putting me back on the road to simplicity.

You're a guy.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
Add a breech rope and shooting platform.  Reduce the load to about 40 grains FFg.