Author Topic: Latch lever...  (Read 429 times)

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
Latch lever...
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
I just had to deepen the barrel pivot lug on a barrel to close the gap at the top of the barrel/breech intersection.  Now the latch lever pops up so far I can see the cut out hole in it.  Also interfered with the hammer spur when I cock the hammer (which I slid up so it doesn't rub or catch on the lever anymore).

Neither of these things existed before I fitted the barrel.  I did NOT ever touch the latch because it already engaged all the way across and a good third up the barrel shelf.  The latch lever still wiggles when the gun is closed.  It's just alot higher than before I fitted the barrel right.

Any advise?
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Latch lever...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »
If it still wiggles with the barrel closed and it's tight on the frame you're ok.

Spanky

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:14 AM »
rd,

When you relieved the barrel pivot it allows the rear of the barrel to rotate further downward.   This means the latch shelf is lower in relation to the latch and therefore the latch will move further forward, that is further unto the latch shelf.  As long as you have some freeplay in the latch release when the barrel is locked up you are good.  If the latch release doesn't move at all  you have reached the limit of travel on the latch and are probably a few shots away from a loose barrel.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
There's still free play in the lever.  It just sticks up farther than before.  The gun locks up tighter than before and there's no gap at the top of the barrel/breech.  So I guess I'm OK.  Thanks for your replies.

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...