Author Topic: High-speed video or photos of canister round?  (Read 547 times)

Offline bluelake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
High-speed video or photos of canister round?
« on: June 06, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I've seen high-speed photos of shot from a shotgun, but not from a canister round.  Does anyone know of such photos or videos that would show the canister peeling away and the shot dispersing? 

Offline subdjoe

Re: High-speed video or photos of canister round?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 02:55:32 PM »
Here is a modern version.  I wouldn't imagine that the physics of the spread would differ greatly from a similar sized front stuffer.

I think from the 1:20 mark on is very interesting.  You see shot hitting the ground in front of the targets, the targets being hit, the secondary and higher targets being hit, and then the occasional straggler impacting a target.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »
I believe there is some high speed video of canister rounds in Artillery Games...Norm can you verify that?

Offline Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
Was a small amount of high speed on the artillery "Lock and Load"
Artillery lends dignity to what would other wise be a vulgar brawl.

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:55:16 PM »
Here is a modern version.  I wouldn't imagine that the physics of the spread would differ greatly from a similar sized front stuffer.

I think from the 1:20 mark on is very interesting.  You see shot hitting the ground in front of the targets, the targets being hit, the secondary and higher targets being hit, and then the occasional straggler impacting a target.

Excellent!

I believe there is some high speed video of canister rounds in Artillery Games...Norm can you verify that?

Was a small amount of high speed on the artillery "Lock and Load"

I'd be very interested in seeing them.

Also, here's a question regarding muzzleloading canister rounds.  Would the bottom iron plate of the round, which separates the canister and shot from the sabot, generally travel farther than the shot itself?  Also, I would guess that the sabot, being made out of relatively soft wood, would disintegrate soon after exiting the muzzle; correct or incorrect?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
    The following video is one of those high speed videos we showed on the thread called Cancer Shoot or something like that.  What we didn't show before, was the artillery piece which shot the 120 ball canister load of .75 cal. balls and what happened to the canister container. The actual opening of the container happens so quickly when it reaches the muzzle, that the volumes of flame and then smoke cover the disintegration process completely.  You have to remember that in muzzle loading artillery the blow-by gasses are voluminous because of windage.  These gasses precede the projectile and mask the changes that are occurring to it while it is within approx. 10 feet of the muzzle.

Tracy and Mike

The footage here is shot at 1,200 frames per second.  At least two pieces of the canister container are following the shot cloud pretty close to the center of it.  One is the 4" dia. 3/4" thick baltic birch disk at the container's bottom.  The other one or two pieces are what's left of the aluminum container cylinder or top.  You can see two balls that lag behind the main cloud also.  Click on the image to play the clip.

Here is evidence that blow-by gasses and smoke mask the muzzle of Black Powder Artillery.  Even with high speed photoraphy, in this case at 1,200 F.P.S., you simply cannot see what's going on closer than 10 to 15 feet of the muzzle.  Click on image to play clip.

Pieces of the aluminum container with lead ball impressions formed at the moment of firing.  The malleable-iron solid shot form the background in this photo.

A picture of the 4" bore, one-half scale, U.S. 1797 siege mortar which was used to fire the canister charge.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »
Very interesting, all the videos.  The modern shot dispersion over distance, shotgun shot patern dispersion that I've seen takes place at 40 yards or less.  The 75 cal ball shot at the target shows a good dispersion also.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA