Author Topic: Is it the answer for us ?  (Read 836 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Is it the answer for us ?
« on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:20 AM »
  Is socialized medicine the answer ?  Socialized medicine seems to take on an impersonl detachment from the individual, were these octogenarians neglected for economic/convenience reasons ?
          It's rather comforting to say.."They didn't die due to my neglect....it's the rules, you know"!

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/health/s/1421402_two-patients-died-after-waiting-in-ambulance-outside-full-oldham-hospital-unit

Soylent green anyone ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Is it the answer for us ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:50 AM »
Medical advancements have surpassed our ability as a society to afford much of it for the masses.  There does come a time in a lot of people's lives when the cost exceeds the value of life that is left.  So we're left with a dilemma that only a deity can deal with in any acceptable, sensible, or humane way.

My wife's family is going through a struggle right now that is a perfect example of what is in too many of our futures.  My mother-in-law is 86, has severe dimentia and is bedridden.  Her quality of life is zippo and no one is able to care for her.  She is currently being shuttled between a nursing home and the hospital at government expense.  There is no fix--except time.
Swingem

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »
magooch, my MIL is 96 and in somewhat the same state as yours.  however, I don't think anyone but GOD should decide when to take their life.  I know that it may seem selfish on my part but I want to keep them as long as possible.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
+1 Bugeye.  If the answer is euthenasia, who gets to make up the list of qualifiers? I'd like to add some drivers to the list.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:16:33 PM »
  Very difficult questions...no easy answers..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »
It is a problem of the modern age.  We now live much longer, and many of the diseases we have are because of that.  My mother in law lived 10 years with Alzheimers before passing.  All but the last 6 mos. were home care, by us.

My wife and I bought her house from the estate.  Several months later we got a bill from the state, (medicaid recovery act.)  A lien had been placed on the property to recover the amound medicaid had paid.  I had no choice but to send a check, or lose my house at that point.

The government will get theirs.  Bear that in mind when advocating government services.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 04:38:39 AM »
I'm reminded of Terri Schiavo here in Ga.  she was severly brain damaged but she was NOT on life support. however, she had to be hand fed by her momma. she would smile when her momma came in the room.
but her husband wanted her life insurance money and filed suit to withhold nourishment.
the judge gave the order and she was STARVED to death.
guess where the judge and husband will spend eternity.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:15 AM »
I always thought that was a bit "iffy".  If what I read is correct, she was no burden on her "husband", since he almost never visited her and it was her parents /sibl;ings who were actually carrying the personal touch burden.  Her husband had a new honey and obviously no reason to press the issue....unless $$$ were involved.
  Was there not some question as to just how she got into that shape ?  And was it not said that there not some who would be in a tight situation if she ever did recover enough to relate facts surrounding her disability ?

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 03:02:19 AM »
IG, good question.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 03:05:53 AM »
I'm reminded of Terri Schiavo here in Ga.  she was severly brain damaged but she was NOT on life support. however, she had to be hand fed by her momma. she would smile when her momma came in the room.
but her husband wanted her life insurance money and filed suit to withhold nourishment.
the judge gave the order and she was STARVED to death.
guess where the judge and husband will spend eternity.
I believe she's the one who had previously told her husband that she didn't ever want to be on life support. And didn't an autopsy find her brain basically dead?  I suppose no one here has ever made such a statement to their wives or children, huh?  Well, good luck in having them carry out your wishes if some right wing fanatic needs publicity.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:27:43 AM »
The answer is to cut off medical care after the person no longer becomes productive to society, ie after they retire. Think about how this would improve this country.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »
junior, her husband didn't have to take care of her.  and, an autopsy can't tell if your brain dead.
this was nothing but MURDER commited by the husband and applauded by the liberals.

I still pray for you.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 04:24:13 AM »
junior, her husband didn't have to take care of her.  and, an autopsy can't tell if your brain dead.
this was nothing but MURDER commited by the husband and applauded by the liberals.

I still pray for you.
So a person's wishes have no meaning if a preacher says otherwise?  BUGEYE, I believe I need to pray for you...  Also, her autopsy included a close look at her atrophied, dead brain.  Look it up.  It's no sin to use Google.

Offline powderman

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:11 AM »
The answer is to cut off medical care after the person no longer becomes productive to society,

If you are talking about liberal, I agree. POWDERMAN.  :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 12:49:40 PM »
the medical examiner plainly said brain damage, not brain dead!!!!
there are plenty of brain damaged people that are a pleasure to have around.
of course, YOU would have them killed.
I'll still pray for you junior.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
Junior claims;
"I believe she's the one who had previously told her husband that she didn't ever want to be on life support. And didn't an autopsy find her brain basically dead?  I suppose no one here has ever made such a statement to their wives or children, huh?  Well, good luck in having them carry out your wishes if some right wing fanatic needs publicity."
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
   Junior;
      If you go back into the press accounts at the time, that is waht her husband with the new honey, and possibly waiting on an insurance settlement............ claimed.

"means, motive..and opportunity"    The three primary criteria for convincing a jury that a crime has been committed...