Author Topic: good handloads for 45LC?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Buckwheat Jack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • 45-70; 45 Long Colt; 12ga; .410
good handloads for 45LC?
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:18:11 AM »
I need a good load or two for my H&R 45LC Classic Carbine. I will be using 200 gr RNFP cast bullets. I have a selection of powders: Unique, W296, Red Dot and Blue Dot. I might consider getting another powder, but would prefer to use what is at hand for now.
I want a load that is moderate in velocity. Any suggestions?
aim small, hit big

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: good handloads for 45LC?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:49:06 AM »
I have used some of these loads in the past and found them safe. Just remember the site list many of these as max loads and you should start out 10% below listed loads.

http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:40:52 AM »
 I would use a mid-level charge of Unique for your load. The exact amount I leave up to you, not sure on your firearm strength. I load light to 'Ruger Only' with a few powders, but Unique does great in the mid level loads.
NRA, Veteran

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:07 AM »
Hodgdon's Lil' Gun seems to be a good powder for the .45 Colt.  We worked up a load of (as I recall) 19 gr. behind a 255 gr. hard-cast SWC to use for deer hunting in my son's 7-1/2" barreled Blackhawk.  It is very accurate at 50-yds. and doesn't appear to be too hot judging from the primers.  I got the load from Hodgdon's web site.  It was not the maximum shown.  They have a lot of good data for the .45 Colt.  You might want to check it out.  It's hard to beat Unique though for almost any handgun loads.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »
I need a good load or two for my H&R 45LC Classic Carbine. I will be using 200 gr RNFP cast bullets. I have a selection of powders: Unique, W296, Red Dot and Blue Dot. I might consider getting another powder, but would prefer to use what is at hand for now.
I want a load that is moderate in velocity. Any suggestions?

Although the 200 grainer is not the lightest boolit for a 45LC, it is still a bit light for that cartridge...

That said, I think the slow burners like 296 or Lil'Gun might not be the best choice.  I use H-110 and Lil'Gun in my 45LC but with a 283 grain boolit...

I think you would do better to stay with powders at or near Unique.  Unique is always an "all time" favorite...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline Buckwheat Jack

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:19:44 PM »
Thanks for the help. My bullet choices relate to SASS shooting. I keep things simple. I don't love recoil. I just want to hit a big steel target at about 200 yards.
aim small, hit big

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »
I use HODGDON HS6 in most of my 45 colt loading for all my Blackhaws, my Dan Wesson and all or my rifles.
A charge of 12.5gr with a 250/255gr bullet gives me right at 1040 fps from a 5.5" Blackhawk.
This is MAX for regular 45 colt loadings but is below the starting level for a Ruger as stated in chapter 4, the silhouette section of HODGDON's manual #26, page 584.
WARNING!!!
(DO NOT USE THIS LOAD IN FIREARMS NOT RATED FOR HIGHER PRESSURE LOADINGS OR IN OLDER GUNS)!!!
Have never checked the speed from any of my rifles.
I do know that every gun that this load was used in has shown very good accuracy!
The powder burns cleanly and meters well from a powder dispenser.

Please heed the above warning.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:06:59 AM »
Hodgdon's Lil' Gun seems to be a good powder for the .45 Colt.  We worked up a load of (as I recall) 19 gr. behind a 255 gr. hard-cast SWC to use for deer hunting in my son's 7-1/2" barreled Blackhawk.  It is very accurate at 50-yds. and doesn't appear to be too hot judging from the primers.  I got the load from Hodgdon's web site.  It was not the maximum shown.  They have a lot of good data for the .45 Colt.  You might want to check it out.  It's hard to beat Unique though for almost any handgun loads.

Could you post a link to that load? I just checked Hodgdon's website and couldn't find that load, I have some Lil'Gun but I haven't seen any data for 250 or 255 grain cast.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline CherokeeT

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »
Buckwheat Jack - I don't know about 200 yards.  For SASS, I use a 230 gr RNFP I cast and WST for pistol and rifle.  Great load.  For 200 yd, I think more initial punch would be needed to avoid a bell shaped curve.  I have used 7.0 gr 231 for a more velocity and it works great in rifle, but I don't shoot over 100 yd.
God Bless America
NRA Life, TSRA, SASS

Offline Buckwheat Jack

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »
BTT
aim small, hit big