Author Topic: War Memorials of Wisconsin (historic artillery)  (Read 792 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
War Memorials of Wisconsin (historic artillery)
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
This site contains good quality photos of some interesting artillery pieces. There are a few early pattern iron 6-pdrs, two Spanish bronze guns cast in 1787 and 1794 respectively (one mounted on a inappropriate carriage), two M1841 12-pounder bronze field guns (both rifled and mounted on what must be "improvised" naval/garrison carriages), an 1867 VIII-inch shell gun of 6500 lbs. (which looks like a Dahlgren, but isn't), and an iron 8-inch Navy gun of 106 cwt. from West Point Foundry 1849, amongst others.
Click on 'unidentified' and take a look at the two "Civil War mountain howitzers"; anyone have any ideas?

http://warmemorials.us/listing-007-artillery.html

M1841 12-pdr bronze field gun

8-inch Navy Gun 106 cwt., 1849

Spanish bronze cannon cast in Seville 1794

"A "work of art" is engraved on the barrel. It is the royal cipher of Spanish King Charles IV who ruled 1788-1808."

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Re: War Memorials of Wisconsin (historic artillery)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
That's an odd looking carriage with the Spanish Bronze cannon.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »
I've seen some European carriages that resembled this one, but I can't recall ever seeing an American carriage that looked similar.
These captions are from the site, and were attached to the photos shown.

"Left side - the gun appears oversize for the wheels of this carriage."

"Rear view - note what appear to be railroad wheels inboard of the wooden wheels. Is this the correct carriage for this gun?"

The wheels have 16 spokes, and are bolted into metal hubs, so they would date from a period after the mid sixties. What someone referred to as "railroad wheels inboard" are in all probability wheels that rode on the rails of some type of barbette chassis.

To me one of the most interesting guns here is the 8" Navy gun 106 cwt., 1849.
This is the only gun of this type listed on the "National Registry", but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the only existing example.
8" Navy gun, 10' 10", 106 cwt
Fdy - West Point Foundry
Reg# - 1
Insp - AAH
Fdy# - 303
YR - 1849
Weight - 106-0-18
MTL - Iron
This gun formed part of the armament of the USS Saranac, which was a side wheeled steamer that served during (and past) the Civil War.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
Here are a few photos of a 'Bishop breech loading 12-pdr field gun' located in Sparta, WI. There are two of these listed on the 'National Registry'; the other is on display in the museum at West Point.

Scientific American, Volume 4   
See: EXPERIMENTS WITH CANNON AND SHOT

G. W. BISHUP [sic]  Patent Sept. 9, 1856
http://www.google.com/patents?id=6-dTAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=breechloading+cannon&hl=en&ei=IZTkTbPFKKbk0QH6ofyVBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCkQ6AEwATgU#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:37:44 AM »
Is there a name ingraved on the upper part of the barrel on the Spanish gun? also bore size? and length?
the carraige looks like someone's attempt to build something to display it on.... the wheels look like they
may have come from a WWI military wagon looks like they have break drums on the inside.... the rest is cobbled together into what someone thought a carraige should look like......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 01:42:53 AM »
Is there a name ingraved on the upper part of the barrel on the Spanish gun? also bore size? and length?

http://warmemorials.us/artillery/spanish_18pdr_madison.html

.... the wheels look like they may have come from a WWI military wagon looks like they have break drums on the inside....

There are visible gaps between the metal inside faces of the artillery wheel's naves and the metalic cylinders; so how could they be brake drums?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 07:43:38 AM »
099322932 date=1306841864]
Quote from: KABAR2 link=topic=234833.msg1099322932#msg1
[color=navy
Is there a name ingraved on the upper part of the barrel on the Spanish gun? also bore size? and length?[/color]

From the photo's there is a banner engraved near the muzzel with the cannons name on it the author did not bother to include that info....

the other Spanish cannon listed has it's name "PELE ADOR" included in the info that gun was cast during the reign of Carlos the III.

.... the wheels look like they may have come from a WWI military wagon looks like they have break drums on the inside....

There are visible gaps between the metal inside faces of the artillery wheel's naves and the metalic cylinders; so how could they be brake drums?
[/quote]
They are now doing duty as Artillery wheels..... more than likely they came from a heavy wagon I doubt
there was much concern about working drums but the cylinders were left to fill up the space...
most people have no clue what a gun carraige is supposed to look like so the fantacy carraige the cannon sits on came to be.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »
Quote from: KABAR2 link=topic=234833.msg1099322932#msg1
[color=navy
Is there a name ingraved on the upper part of the barrel on the Spanish gun? also bore size? and length?[/color]

From the photo's there is a banner engraved near the muzzel with the cannons name on it the author did not bother to include that info....

the other Spanish cannon listed has it's name "PELE ADOR" included in the info that gun was cast during the reign of Carlos the III.

They are now doing duty as Artillery wheels..... more than likely they came from a heavy wagon I doubt
there was much concern about working drums but the cylinders were left to fill up the space...
most people have no clue what a gun carraige is supposed to look like so the fantacy carraige the cannon sits on came to be.

[/quote]
_____________________________________________________________________________________

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you hadn't even bothered to open the link, since you also asked about the bore size and length of the piece.
Concerning the name given to the gun, I also see evidence of a banner on the chase that should contain the name, but I don't have access to any data that you don't also now have; do you have any suggestions on an avenue of research that might lead us to discovering the name of the gun?

My use of the term "artillery wheel" in reference to these specific wheels isn't meant to be descriptive of what they now, or at some earlier time once supported, that's just the name used to designate this 'type' of wooden wheel; even when they were used on the first motor driven vehicles.

Okay, just to clarify what you're stating: You still think that the metal cylinder seen on the axle tree between the wheel hub and the wooden axle bed is a brake drum that was left there after it was seperated from the hub, because it wouldn't look good if the cobblers had removed it (too much empty space would then be seen between the wheel and axle bed). Am I reading you correctly?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
::) I have to admit I did not see the link the first time around, in one of the photo's from the rear you
can just make out the scroll or banner near the muzzle on the Spanish cannon,
 if someone does not record the markings they may disappear due
to bronze disease

Okay, just to clarify what you're stating: You still think that the metal cylinder seen on the axle tree between the wheel hub and the wooden axle bed is a brake drum that was left there after it was seperated from the hub, because it wouldn't look good if the cobblers had removed it (too much empty space would then be seen between the wheel and axle bed). Am I reading you correctly?

Yes exactly, it would have still been a horse drawn wagon but one for heavy loads.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »
Another you may like to see is located at Portage, WI on the grounds of 'The Surgeon's Quarters' (US Hwy 33 E, just on the edge of town). Thus far no one seems to know just what it is.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
Another you may like to see is located at Portage, WI on the grounds of 'The Surgeon's Quarters' (US Hwy 33 E, just on the edge of town). Thus far no one seems to know just what it is.

Any chance you could get some photo's and post them?