Author Topic: little Redfield range finder, Anybody got a report?  (Read 731 times)

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
little Redfield range finder, Anybody got a report?
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
I looked at a Redfield range finder today at Cabelas, it was small and compact, the guy said they are made by leupold to compete with the less expensive Nikon that Leupold was unable to compete with before aquiring Redfield.... anyway a lot of blah blah here sorry about that. I just want to know if any of you have these smaller Redfield range finders and how they work for deer or antelope. He said they would reach 550 yds but probably not register a deer because of the human factor and being unable to hold the tiny range finder steady enough.
He said if you held the button down while you panned with it it would register everything you pan on if it is the size it can register... But said as a down side the battery would not last as long. I asked what kind of battery and it is a weird one like 1/3 length of a aaa battery, So I figured they could be a pain to find to replace especially on a  hunting trip.
Please let me know if you have one of these and what you have found out in the line of usability.
Thanks  thejanitor

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: little Redfield range finder, Anybody got a report?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »
you can knock about a 1/3 off the max range of about every rangefinder ive ever tried so you can see that a 550 yard one is going to work at about 400 yards max and for the most part a rangefinder isnt even needed at those ranges. My opinion for what its worth a rangefinder is a waste unless you at least get a 1000 yard model.
blue lives matter

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:37:59 AM »
Thanks Lloyd.
thejanitor

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
After thinking about what Lloyd said about a range finder not needed for less than 400 yds I started thinking about my hunting load for the 45-70 and for that gun at least being 50 yds off one way or the other on the 200- 250 yd range would be a substantial amount of drop difference, so I guess with a .223 or .270 Lloyd has a good point but with my 45-70 I do think it would be nice to know the difference between 225 yds and 275 yds just because drop is so significant. So if anyone has used this small Redfield please let me know what you think. Thanks  thejanitor