Author Topic: Modifying a Handi for burned Victim  (Read 847 times)

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
Modifying a Handi for burned Victim
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
haven't been on forum for a while, my son was burned over 86% of his body last thanksgiving just brought him home, sport mans group donated him a Buffalo hunt this fall, he wants to use his 06, he cannot supinate his hands, the thumb hole stock fixes the right hand problem, i added a picninny rail to the sling stud on the fore end, with a tactical fore grip, but it is to far foreword,
my question is can i use a screwed swivel stud in the synthetic for end half way between the existing stud and the receiver and will it hold, he has to pull hard on the fore grip to hold the weapon?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline leserz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Modifying a Handi for burned Victim
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »

i would not wish what happened to your son on my worst enemy sorry for the pain to him and his love ones.
 im sure some one can help you out  i don't know my self but there are some pretty talented people on this forum.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
If you look around there are fore end sling swivels that have a nut that goes inside the stock.  I think one of these would help with at least one of the problems you're dealing with. 

My best wishes for the rest of his recovery....

Tony

Offline jloehm

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
Get a sling stud with a long stud screw (with nut would be best) and use JB weld or some other epoxy.  Put it wherever you need it. I'd lay it heavy.   Maybe drill some small holes (not too deep) on the inside of the synthetic stock to create a bed for the epoxy to grab to.  Good luck and God Bless.  You'll have to let us know how the hunt goes.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »
If you look around there are fore end sling swivels that have a nut that goes inside the stock.  I think one of these would help with at least one of the problems you're dealing with. 

My best wishes for the rest of his recovery....

Tony

I agree with geezerbiker, but I would add some metal inside the fore end (washer, or small metal plate cut to size) to add some strength to the synthetic fore end, otherwise, you might pull the sling swivel out. 
Add my best wishes for his swift recovery.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
As recommended above, it should work fine, it's been done before.  ;)

Tim

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396544

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Is the Forearm screw itself too far forward? Mabey some fabrication there and a longer screw will do?
 Just throwing out ideas,?

Could you mount the tactical grip to a length of metal independantly, then that metal strap screwed too the Forarm in more than one place, sorta spread the load out.
 A lengthwise cut on a section of tubing might be better then flat strap, you'll get the curve you need too fit the peices.
 How long before the hunt?
found elsewhere

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »
his hunt is in October, somewhere near Cortez ,colo thanks for all the ideas just bought  the synthetic foreend did not want to mess it up and have to buy another, the picnniny rail i bought attaches to a swivel stud, by the way hes a big boy, 6" 4, was 260 before now hes about 200, his attitude and faith in God have got him this far thank you for all ideas and well wishes bobby appreciates IT
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
HERES A PIC

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
Do not worry about messing up the forearm. If you do I have another I will ship at no charge.Just find a combination that will work.
God Bless and Good Luck
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 12:51:58 AM »
can you try adjusting a wristbrace to be lopsided in fit enough to force his wrist to bend the way it needs to, to get into his stock?  I had trouble tensing up a specific part of my left hand for a long time, and it twitched bad enough I'd toss stuff if I forced it to grasp... if he's having anything like that he'll need an "anchor" to get the jiggles out. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 01:22:58 AM »
My thoughts are to make a groove (rabbit) the the forend, back almost to the receiver and fit a piece of steel with a few threaded holes along its length. Epoxy this into the forend. With this way the for grip can be mounted in what ever position is needed. The length would effectively spread out the "load" and stiffen the forend. If extra support was needed a barrel band could be fit and allowed to tie into the front of that steel strip.
If you wanted to be fancy, you could put the steel on the inside and just have a hole or two thru the wood/syn forend.
Just kinda thinking out loud.
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »
Wileynet-Would the survivor forend work any better as far as room to mount and strengthen internal stuff? It doesn't look as sleek and smooth but for you it may give the functionality.
 I just got one (now an extra) when I had my daughters barrel put on and if you need it, just like the guy above, Just let me know and its yours. Just thought it may give more options with the size and roomy inside openings in it. I also have a pistol grip from a mossberg 500 you could have if you want to combine the two somehow- I can send it along if you decide to go that route.
Good luck! Hope he enjoys his hunt.  thejanitor

Offline jparedes

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
I have this handle that came with one of my paintball markers that attaches to a Picatinny rail.  It is nice because it can slide back and forth on the rail and when you find the best place, then you twist the bottom and it locks in place.  I think that the solution for the left non-supinating hand would be to attach a picatinny rail to the side of the forend and use this handle.  Send me your address and it will be on its way.  I hope the photo shows up.

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
thanks for all the replies and help i tried moving the sling stud back and re-enforcing with jb weld in the channel, see pics of bobby. it feels like there is a lot of flex wend he pulls on it,  creats a 3/8 gap on the forend tip away from the barrel.
don't know exactly how to go about it but i think the offer for the survivor forend and the rigid handle is my best bet,
i really don't know how to thank all of you

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »
Wiley,

One thought, the barrel stud on Handis have been know to break loose from the added stress of bipods, rails, added weight to the forestock etc.  It might be a good idea to look into having the stud reinforced, maybe with solder or JB weld.  Others have drilled and tapped the reinforcing plate of the stud to strengthen it. 

My hunting partner is a fireman and I worry about him a lot.  I hope that your son has a great hunt and his recovery goes even better.

BB 
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
If you could find one of the handstop plates for the likes of a Winchester Model 52 or 75, or a 513 Remington, then screwed/epoxied it to the bottom of the forearm, it'd give you several choices of position, and, add some stiffness to it, especially if you ran the forearm attaching screw through it.  Just a thought.
Glad to see he's made it this far in his recovery, and good luck to him on his hunt!!!!
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:07 PM »
what's the news on your boy's gear situation?