Author Topic: Cannon ID/ worth?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Gromit

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon ID/ worth?
« on: June 28, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »
Morning all.
First post. I have a few of these, any value here?

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Re: Cannon ID/ worth?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:22:17 AM »
I don't know the value , but the 22 blank cannon has several cool innovations and is very well made , I like it. ;D

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:23:45 AM »
G'morning,  I don't know what they are worth. They sure are good looking, though. I really like the looks of the bottom one with the lanyard firing mechanism. Do you have more pictures? Thankyou for sharing.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Gromit

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:45:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. I made up a few of each to sell on eBay, at the last minute I got cold feet worrying about liability. Forgot about the project and recently found them in the shop

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:36 AM »
Hi Gromit ,with work like that you will fit right in here !  8)  Have you made any muzzle loaders ?

Yes I'd worry about liability too . Are you aware of the 1/3 bore size to O.D. of the tube by the breach ?
If you stay within guidelines you'll be fine . There are more listed in the stickies .

Welcome ,
Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »
Those are some sharp cannon that you've made, Gromit, I especially like the .22 blank gun. I've got a 10 gauge signal/salute gun that has a similar torsion spring operated hammer. Considering the small caliber I couldn't really give you an accurate appraisal, but if you're asking about what they'd sell for on ebay, probably around a couple/three hundred apiece (then again, on ebay you never really know).

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:39 AM »

Hi Gromit,

The only possible issue I see is if modern ammunition (22's) fit it then it could be considered a firearm, as long as it can only take blanks there would be no issues with evilbay.

Very nice work by the way,

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Gromit

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:02 AM »
Gary,
....Are you aware of the 1/3 bore size to O.D. of the tube by the breach ?....
 I am now. These were built several years ago when I needed a break from my' normal winter 'build hobby, steam engines. I just used what looked right. Been wrong before. LOL Summer hobby is old British cars.  The BP cannon's have never been fired other than caps. Think it's safe to shoot BP?
 Every time I get the urge to make noise, I go for a BIG cannon I made. Cast iron with a steel liner somewhere around 80 cal. around 40 lbs with the steel carriage. Here's some more pics of others. None of the big one handy. Let me know when you've seen enough. LOL
  I call myself a 'hobbyist' and drive my wife nut displaying my models around the house. Cannons, engines, cement mixers, turbines, ships, guns........I could go on.

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
Very nice. With your experience with the small steam engines, have you considered a disappearing gun? We had a discussion a few months back about trying to miniaturize one and I think someone who works with those small steam engines has the best chance of pulling it off.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »
Nice.  What is the caliber and breech OD on the second one (top nipple black powder)?  I'd be afraid somebody could put 22 shorts in the first one.