Author Topic: Rifling the 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle  (Read 6679 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Rifling the 7" Treble-Banded Brooke Seacoast and Navy Rifle
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
Tracy, thank you for the thorough answer.  I mistakenly thought you did considerably more volume that you stated.  Yes single point cutters are the most likely to produce the best accuracy from a barrel.

... would a button type rifling cutter not work faster? (note I did NOT say better)...

Keith
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
    Thanks Keith for your comment.  That's the way we see it too.   We surpassed our 4" group size goal for five shots at 100 yards in 2005.  In 2009 we determined that a new goal was necessary for the Brooke.  The third test barrel with Brooke rifling shot 1.1" at 100 yards with 4 shots, with the 5th shot being a flyer, so we decided our new goal should be 1.000" for 5 at 100.  We haven't done that yet, but are still load developing, so eventually we will do it. 

To make it easier for very busy people to find these clips we bring them forward here on this post.  We really enjoy answering your questions and will do so cheerfully if there are any more.

Tracy and Mike

The more general shots are in the first two clips and the last two get up close and personal with the details of the sine bar, follower and the rack, also the all-important, Rifling Head adjustments.

A general view of rifling operations. Click on the image to display these clips.

A little closer to the action.

A close-up of what the follower does.  It follows the sine bar and drags the rack to the left or right, rotating the pinion gear and the rifling head shaft, imparting twist to the grooves.

Some dialog with this clip attempts to answer a few basic questions about rifling.  No rehearsal here!  Just raw footage!  The dialog ends abruptly here.  My fault.  I cut it off a bit too short and the remainder of the dialog went on to say, "which creates a 1 in 10, 1 in 22, or 1 turn in 55" twist which is what the Brooke rifle has."  Our 1/6 scale 100 Pdr. Parrott Rifle has a gain or progressive twist going from zero to 1 turn in 36"within the length of the tube.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 06:12:51 AM »
Really great stuff guys, keep it coming. What kind of bearing or guide do you have on the rack that mates with the sine bar? I know that more force is exerted on one side of the sine bar than the other on the cutting stroke and that part would have to be fitted well and free of play.
Max

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »

Really great stuff guys, keep it coming. What kind of bearing or guide do you have on the rack that mates with the sine bar? I know that more force is exerted on one side of the sine bar than the other on the cutting stroke and that part would have to be fitted well and free of play.   

Secured to the bottom of the Rack with one bolt (so it can swivel a little) is a 'U'-shaped steel guide made from 4142 Steel,  Pre-Hardened to 32 Rockwell 'C' Scale.  4142 is one TOUGH steel, almost impossible to rifle, we found out!  It works great as a Follower (guide).  The sine bar is a piece of 0-1 ground flat stock, .500" X .750" and is completely annealed so we can easily bend it to any radius we desire based on what rate of Gain or Progressive Twist we want.  There is only about .003" clearance between these two, so there is no wobble transmitted to the Rifling Head.  Common automotive grease is used to prevent galling and is applied to Both sides of the sine bar, because the Follower presses on the opposite side on the return trip.  There has been only .001" wear in the follower's gap in almost 20,000 strokes of the Follower along the Sine Bar.  Not bad.  Thanks for your thoughtful question Max.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling