Author Topic: Made it to the Range......FINALLY!!  (Read 633 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Made it to the Range......FINALLY!!
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
Actually not the range, but shooting 100yds from my portable shooting table in the woods!  ;) Went on Wednesday, then again Friday, no chrono on Wed, so some of the targets have no velocity marked on them, but I did have some great shooting rifles with me, the new 7mm-08 Lite, both the 405 Win and 444 Marlin with octagon barrels, and the 445 Supermag.

First off, I have to admit that I forgot the 405 Win on Wednesday, thought I had it with me, but when I unzipped the case, I found it had turned into a 445 Supermag!!  ::) Fortunately I had made up some 445 ammo and just happened to have it with me, so it got shot. The other "issue" I had also involved the 405 Win, first shot I took Friday(made sure it was with me this time!) the forend stud detached!  :o This was soldered on just like the 444 which I had no problems with, but I apparently screwed it up when I originally soldered it on, it was a bit crooked, so I reheated it and repositioned it, probably leaving it poorly attached, I should have removed it and started over with cleaned surfaces and new solder, live and learn.  :-[

Since I had lots of ammo with me, decided to shoot it anyway, all my shooting was done over my Leadsled DFT with the front rest under the front of the frame, so I duct taped a synthetic forend on it so I didn't have to worry about the barrel falling off when I reloaded it and shot a few rounds of the load which I had worked up in the 28" barrel a few years ago, that load of 56.5gr Benchmark under the 300gr Hornady SP ran ~2450fps, now it runs 2305fps in the 23½" barrel, and is just as accurate. I also have some resized .416" Hawk Spitzers and some .416" 350gr Speer Mag tips to shoot, but that will be at a later time after the forend stud is reattached.

The new 7mm-08 Lite barrels shoots excellent with a max load of Varget under the 139gr Hornady BTSP, the start load from Hodgdon was the best of all loads until I got to the max and it was a pleasant surprise, only shot a two-shot group on it, didn't want to ruin the group, the third would probably have been a flyer!!  ;D

The 445 Supermag wasn't real accurate, but was very acceptable, don't know what the velocity was, but I'll check it later.

The octagon 444 Marlin (rechambered 20" 44mag Youth Superight) shot excellent, far better than it did as a 44mag, I don't know the velcity of the 51 and 51½gr loads because I didn't take the chrono the day I shot them, but I had a couple 52gr loads on Friday that averaged 2308fps, unfortunately, the two rounds were shot on two different targets because someone with CRS decided to change targets between shots!  :-[ ::) They would have been almost overlapping as the lighter load was tho.

I also took the Wizard/Handi 30-06 barrel with me, but it was more or less just to proof it, I shot some previous loads of RL22 and 200gr Nosler partitions that I had loaded for my Ultra Comp, they shot 2-2½" groups.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Made it to the Range......FINALLY!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

Looks like your good to go for the Elk Tim
 Best of luck!  Datil

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
Good to hear you made it out with that new 7-08 Tim! I don't know if I tried 139 gr or not in my daughters, we just got the 115 hp on paper before the prairie dog trip. I do know Varget is one powder I have never owned so maybe now would be a good time to try some.
Thanks for the info! take care, thejanitor

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »
Tim,
  That's some good shooting! Seems like the reaming process brought some pain to your hands that paid off, that 444 is a keeper.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
Good work Tim.

I too have had a re-soldered joint fail.  I my limited experience if ya get it wrong ya gotta start over.  Dang it.

What solder did you use?  I've thought I might dovetail mine instead of solder, if I had one to do.

Cat

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
Ok, the 405 Win barrel is fixed, I soldered the stud back on, then drilled and tapped it and added a couple 6-48 screws, that oughta hold it!!  ;D I use the same solder I used for installing shims in the barrel fitting info, see Soldering Shims on the barrel fitting page, it's 94/6% tin/silver, got it on ebay, from my research, it has a shear strength of 13kpsi.

Thanks,

Tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330378666406
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain