Author Topic: Loading 357 mag. and COL  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Fletch6

• Trade Count: (0)
Loading 357 mag. and COL
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:13:32 AM »
I just started reloading 357 again after many years.  I was checking the COL of factory ammo and comparing what my dies were set at.  the three boxes of factory were about 1.570 and that is about what my dies were set at.  the new S&W I got looks like it would take 1.590 easily.  Is there a problem loading a longer COL as long as it clears the forcing cone with a crimped bullet.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Loading 357 mag. and COL
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:40:09 AM »
going  too  short can raise preasure

i never heard  of a problem going too  long that won't be obvious

like  won't fit  or won't allow cylinder to turn

if you bring the bullet to the max for your cylinder
and you get  ANY  bullet jump due to recoil
you revolver will  jamb

the dumb questions  are the ones  you DON'T  ask
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline shot1

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:38:48 AM »
The problem with going longer is you don't have any groove to crimp into. You need to crimp bullets in a 357 mag or they can pull forward on you. And powders like H-110/296 need bullets crimped to help get a good burn going.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
Started loading 38 Special in about '71 and .357 about a year later. I have not been too concerned with OAL because 99% of the time I crimp in the crimp groove, both jacketed and lead bullets. On only one series of reloads did I "adjust" the seating depth of my bullets as an experiment in accuracy (I have a very accurate Dan Wesson). My experiment had so-so results (I couldn't descerne a viable difference) so for the next 5,000 rounds (and maybe the same in .44 Special and magnum) I just seat to the crimp groove.

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
  1.590 is the maximun OAL for the .357 mag, with cartridge length being 1.29.  OAL is often times determined by bullet weight and profile so quite naturally a 110 gr RNFP will have a shorter OAL than a 170 gr SWC.   I don't know what model S&W you have ,but it wouldn't surprise me if it could handle a longer OAL, in anticipation of a handloader wanting to use heavier bullets for hunting or maybe sillhouette. Leverguns and auto feeders are a different story, proper OAL is  more critical.
  You'll have to set your dies for the particular bullet you use. I would concern  myself more with making the bullet is seated to the proper depth than trying to stay within OAL parameters. 
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »
I agree, no harm as long as they allow firearm to properly funtion

BUT i also only watch case length, then seat to crimp groove and crimp in place.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
I would think if the crimp grove was not used the crimp would lead to erratic pressure differences at the bullet release from the case.
When shooting IMHSA I learned a revolver shot most accurate when the cases were the same brand, shot about the same amount of times , the powder same weight by measure and crimp was a profile crimp to the front of the crimp grove . And all cases were trimmed to same length ,reamed and camfered. With crimp being one of the important I never experimented with seating depth unless there were two crimp grooves.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Fletch6

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 11:36:54 AM »
Thanks to all for the feed back.  I can with the 158 gr. XTP bullet get about 1.570 at the end of the crimp and .590 at almost the bottom. Yes I am keeping the crimp in the grove and thanks for the info about W296 needing a tight crimp because that is what I am using right now. It may not give me better acuracy, but it is one thing on my list.  I now have a much longer list of things to try thanks again. And for infor the S&W is a modle 60 pro. with 3" barrel.  I dont expect to do any thing more than 10 yard shooting and learning how to grip the gun I am sure will be a big help. 

Offline GH1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
  You might want to do a little research on suitable powders for short barrel guns.
I may be off base here but I think 296 is a relatively slow burning powder that your 3" barrel may not be able to take full advantage of.  If I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me.
 You might want to think about using AA#9, as it's reported to not produce a great deal of muzzle flash.  That could be a good thing in a snubby.
GH1 :)

I owe my life to an organ donor