Author Topic: How accurate are you?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline KYShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
How accurate are you?
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
Can anyone on here (or have you seen it done) light a match with a bullet? I'm not talking about using some stupid contraption to hold the gun for you! I'm talking about holding the gun in your hands in a field position. My Papaw and Mamaw (from different sides of the family) claim they have both done it, and I believe them.

Offline Savage

Re: How accurate are you?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:09:05 PM »
Sure, with enough bullets and matches, I can get er done! Well,-----------if it's close enough.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »
When I was shooting every weekend.  Yes.  Stuck a few strike anywhere matches in a carboard target backers and with a magazine or two from 7 Yards.  Yep.
With my showing last Sunday, not having shot a lot for two years...  I need a brick or two of 22 and I may light one.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:15:48 PM »
Done it once in my life with a bb gun when I was a boy. I've never repeated it but to be honest haven't tried either.

To answer the question posed in the subject line, these days not very accurate at all. I used to be able to keep a cylinder full in an inch free hand at 25 yards. These days I do good to keep them in 2.5" from a bench. My close up vision is horrible and I shake something fierce. Just not steady enough anymore.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Pulp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:18:04 PM »
If you can even find strike anywhere matches nowadays, they are a different chemical mix and will not easily ignite.  Mythbusters tackled this one awhile back and had slow motion video of a .45 bullet from a 1911 grazing match after match.  They finally got some old matches from somewhere and succeeded.  They were using a Ransom Rest.

Years ago I bought a new pellet gun, and finally got to where I could put a lead streak across the tip, but never lit one.

I remember an episode the "The Rifleman" where the young gunfighter comes to town to challenge Lucas.  Lucas says, "OK, but let me show you what you're up against."  He puts 5 matches in a crack in a hitching rail, walks to the middle of the street, turns and from the hip, lights all 5 matches with his rifle.  The youngster says, "That's pretty good." then draws his revolver and puts all 5 matches out.  Not one window in the store behind the hitching rail was broken.  I turned off the TV and never watched The Rifleman again. ;D
Pulp, SASS#28319

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »
its just entertainment..i remember wild bill, stopping a bunch of the bad guys  by himself..
andy ask how he did it .. hickock said he just shot dn the barrels of thier guns,so none could shoot anymore...
script writers can make anything happen ..thats show buisiness.
yall have a good day ..

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:41:01 AM »
more of a lucky stunt that actual skill when you consider that if you dont spend many hours handloading and benching a gun your lucky if it shoots 2 inch groups at 25 yards. a match head is about a 1/16 of an inch so to do it consistantly and call it skill youd have to have a gun that shot 1/16 of an inch groups at the range your shooting them at. NOT LIKELY even if you do work up loads for a couple years.
blue lives matter

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:44:04 AM »
The candle shoot was always a part of the black powder shoot's and the best that I ever did was to snuff the flame X 7 in a row. Not Good Enough as I came in 3rd!

They will usually get mad at you if you hit n break the candle, be prepared for a $1.00 fine if this happens.

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:10:02 AM »
I'm kinda like Bill.  I think my handguns are getting less accurate, and my iron sighted rifles need aperture sights.  Funny how it works, when you're old enough to know how it's really supposed to be done, you just don't seem to be steady enough to do it.  I've lit plenty of matches with BB guns as a kid, never with anything bigger.
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline KYShooter

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:35:57 AM »
I've done it once with a Ruger Mark III .22. Got it with the 3rd shot. While you have to have an accurate gun I'm not talking about very long distances here. 7 yards I think would be the max. Personally I'd start with 3 then go to 5 then try 7. I'm gonna try it again and try to film it next time! Most people thinks I'm lying when I tell them I have lit a match, even though I have 2 witnesses. 

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:36 AM »
A thousand chimps, typing on a thousand type writers, for a thousand years...  You betcha, who's buying the ammo? That's my instructor there on the left.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline jhm

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 03:11:12 PM »
     At the cost of ammo these days, if I need fire I will just ( flick my bic ) I really cant say if I ever tried to strike a match with a bullet.   Jim

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
Yes when I was shooting bench rest .22 lr. It was easy with a competition rifle, 24x Scope and distance was 25 feet.  This was fired from a bench, not off hand.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:04:46 AM »
Light a match i never tried that yet.

How good am i?  I don't consider myself a good shot because i'm not as good as my mentor was(older brother).  I swear this is true on my soul i did this;

My dad was heckling me everytime we seen each other to take him shootin so he can show me how good he is and i'm not a good shot.  I took him to the local sand pits at the time with my colt 357mag python.  I set up soda cans at 20yds on the berm at knee level from the ground.  I fired at one and sent it up the berm 15' high and as it was rollin down i hit it again and sent it up, again as it was rolling down i fired again and sent it back up the berm and fired all 6 shots and repeated to hit it everytime sending it back up the berm over and over.  I looked at him and said now what are you going to show me?  I never did this before in my life nor ever tried it again.  He stopped dead in his tracks and said nothing.  I never heard anything about that day too, never a word was spoken about it after that. I was just playing around figuring i'd miss it everytime.  I'm not a bragger nor a show off and with accuracy i can hold my own.  I still don't think i'm that good of a shot.                     CZY

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
I have, but I was younger then...and very surprised!
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »
Bill
I try to find good when delt bad.
I figger with all my shaking a bad guy might be in more danger if he moves around.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 04:13:42 AM »
The next time the match lighters or any other  person tries to tell you of their phenomenal skill let them put their money where their mouth is.
Say 20 matches 20 shots at lets say 7 yards for everyone they hit you give them 5 dollars and for everyone they miss they give you five dollars and see how quickly the subject changes or else how they don't have time to go to the range.
Its not what one can do every once in a great while that determines how good they are but how well  they shoot on  average based over a number of times.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2011, 05:16:43 AM »
Done it!  When I was a young pup and 22 shorts were .29 a box, could do it about 1 out of 5 shots at 25 feet.  NOW, I,m lucky to be able to see a match at that distance.

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
BIG Dog454:
So if we had the agreement I proposed above in my other post you would have received 5 dollars from me and I would received 20 from you.
Doesn't sound to lucrative for you.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 08:18:10 AM »
But the OP was about doing it, not the number of times that you can or have..
You've heard about the blind hog finding an ear of corn, havent you?
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
"But the OP was about doing it, not the number of times that you can or have..
You've heard about the blind hog finding an ear of corn, haven't you?"
I thought it was a acorn.  But anyway what one can do with extreme luck has nothing to do with what he or she can do on the average.
What one can do the majority of the times is what counts.  Not what one can do when lady luck has him in choke hold.