Author Topic: Fixed 6 power scopes?  (Read 767 times)

Offline coyotero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« on: December 31, 2003, 11:15:30 AM »
When I first moved to Montana I bought a 6 power Leupold scope.As I got older I got caught up in the variable power "thing" If the truth were to known I would crank the variable to one power and leave it there for the next 10 years.I just sold all of my centerfire rifles and I'm starting all over again.I just bought my wife a .308 bolt gun and I will buy myself a .308 in the near future.Going to get a pair of new .223's in the same model also.I have gone through all the magnums I care to own,if I can't kill it cleanly with a .308 I won't take the shot.Just set the reloading bench up again,used to shoot about 6000 rounds of centerfire a year.It is amazing how much better a shot you get to be after that.
  My question is are there any 6 power scopes that compare with the Leupolds?I don't want to buy junk.How about eye relief comparisons?Sorry this got so long and I rambled on.Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
I love the smell of coyote gland lure early in the morning.It smells like victory!!

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 12:38:52 PM »
Yes there are several...Nikon, Burris and others.  But the Leupold 6x42 is hard to beat.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 01:22:42 PM »
Personally I think the Nikon Monarch 6x42 beats it.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 01:26:39 PM »
The Nikon might be brighter but is it as durable as a Leupold?  How quick do they repair them?  Eye relief?  Recoil tollerance?

Offline 308TIKKA

Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 10:18:08 AM »
Schmidt&Bender and Swarovski make fixed 6x42 scopes if you want the best

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 10:27:21 AM »
In my opinion a Nikon will hold up to about anything that a Leupold can withstand.  As for repair time, of the items that I have sent in for repair, they have returned back to me within 1-2 weeks, No Charge!  That same as Leupold.  The eye relief is 3.5", which is adequate for any rifle, but maybe not for the really big shooters.  Plus the Nikon is $100.00 cheaper than the Leupold.  A lot of people think that Leupold is the only scope! Don't get me wrong, Leupolds are nice scopes, but there are other brands out there that have just as good or better quality for a lot less.  Another good example is the Bushnell Elite 4200's.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline coyotero

• A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 11:40:30 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.Jon I'll just have to try a Nikon.
I love the smell of coyote gland lure early in the morning.It smells like victory!!

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 11:45:20 AM »
Don't get me wrong, Leupolds are nice scopes, but there are other brands out there that have just as good or better quality for a lot less. Another good example is the Bushnell Elite 4200's.

Well said Jon..........the days of Leupold being in a class by themselves is long gone and right now they are struggling to stay with the pack of current mid-priced scopes. We can thank them for bringing the other makers up to their level of warranty, service, and ruggedness, however in optics they have been left behind which is why the sudden shift in models and "new improved" optics and features that are being offered, which are already available in their competitors lines. The pie is getting cut more ways all the time and with Zeiss right here in the USA competing with Leupold on their own turf with a superior product as well as Nikon and Bushnell both offering superior optics for less $, the big L appears to have woke up and took notice that you can't sit on past reputation and laurels for ever and manage to stay on the cutting edge.

Suddenly now they can offer better optical quality when the 94% light transmission don't lead the field any more. I thought they were the ones who said that you couldn't exceed that number and that Nikon,Burris,and Bushnell were using adjustable methods to come up with 95%LT when all of a sudden they can jump to 98%LT? Or is this individual lens light transmission and not total overall? I plan on buying a VX lll as soon as they are available and comparing to my Conquests and 4200 Elites as well as last years Vari X lll's to see if they really have gotten back in a position of serious contention in the optics world.

If they have......welcome back........and if they haven't there are others to choose from. The controlled pricing they are doing right now is a foolish move that may further alienate them from future scope buyers as this kind of info makes its rounds on the net and soon most buyers are aware of whats going on.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST
Shoot Straight - Shoot Often - Shoot Smokeless - Shoot Savage!

Offline coyotero

• A Real Regular
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 12:10:48 PM »
I saw somewhere the Burris Fullfield II 6X were the choice for 200yd Hunter class Comp?Does anymore have experience with these?

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 02:41:16 PM »
Hey Woodseye...regarding the Elite 4200....do they hold POI when the power is changed and do they track properly when adjusting the windage &/or elevation?  I had a B & L Balvar some years back and it didn't.  Therefore, I am a bit sceptical about these Bushnell scopes.

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 04:20:59 PM »
I have one in use right now on a heavy barrel long range gun that tracks perfectly and holds POI. It shoots in the twos so I would notice any problems with tracking or POI movement and I haven't. Its a 4x16x40 4200Elite in Burris mounts. Hope that helps.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST

Offline Eagle Eye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2004, 11:36:53 AM »
Actually, the Bushnell Elite 4200 in 4x16x40 is the one I am considering.   Thanks.  The Leupold's are way too expensive up here these days.

Offline woodseye

• Avid Poster
Fixed 6 power scopes?
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2004, 01:38:42 PM »
Eagle......I think you will really like it for several reasons. The adjustable objective is very accurate in its yardage marks - the optics are excellant - it tracks and holds POI like stated above to the fraction of an inch - it was reasonable priced and came with a sunshade - the W & E knobs are as good as I've used for being user friendly and precise, they are high like target knobs but covered so they don't get knocked off adjustment - the rainguard is not a gimmick it truly works. The gun shoots in the twos and even dips into the ones when I do my part on a calm day and that says a lot for this scopes ability to capitalize on this kind of accuracy and maintain repeatability. I'm happy with my choice and would buy another without hesitation.

woods
PUT GOD FIRST