Author Topic: What's going on with H&R Arms and the Handi rifle?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline beng

• Trade Count: (0)
What's going on with H&R Arms and the Handi rifle?
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
I got my frist Handi rifle (45-70 BC 32") 2 years ago.  In that time, I have replaced the firing pin;  2 times with the hammer spring and now the transfer bar, they call it the lifter and striker assy.   It was in the shop 3 months  (back order on the part) before I found out that H&R had to replace it.   OK, I called the autherized repair center for my area in Paducah Ky.  Was told NO, it had to go to NewYork.   Called Davidson Mi, (repair center for New York)  again was told NO and given the H&R Corp. number to call.  It stated "number no longer in service."   Went back to MI. was given a new phone number. I got "Remington Arms" that is when I was told that H&R and a few others were sold to Remington.   I have found out that it, "repair" is in Ilion NY.  I have been trying to get   "Tim"   "quickdtoo"  but can not.  I am sure he knows a lot about the Handi rifle and H&R arms.   I do need some help.   Maybe I'll just get a Remington rolling block.    Thanks for your help.
beng

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: What's going on with H&R Arms and the Handi rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
Dunno what's up, but I've received no PMs from you, I get PMs all the time, as well as email notifications when I have a PM, have received 9 PMs in the last 24hrs, but none from you.   ???  That said, H&R moved from Gardner MA to Ilion NY  3yrs ago after Remington bought H&R/Marlin in January 2008, they closed Gardner in the fall of 2008, apparently the repair sources aren't very well informed.  :-\ If your rifle is there for repair now, they should have provided a repair number, if not, you can call and get it, (866)776-9292, they'll need the serial number. Brian56 should be able to help, he works in Ilion.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/News/pressreleases.asp#plan

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=17873

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
Tim's right, I found Brian56 on this board to be a big help with my questions and worries.
Give him a PM, I bet he can help you out.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
Beng, I bet your 'issues' with the firing pin and the spring were really the 'transfer bar' all along. I know, a lot of help that is......now......
They look like a simple action, and are, but things have to work in the right relationship and 'timing' to function correctly, just like any other mechanism. I fear that some of the 'assemblers' are not craftsmen, and maybe there has been a turn-over rate among those people that has not helped at all; it takes time to make someone good at it.
I really hope you get a well functioning rifle back, they can be very satisfying, as many here have confirmed.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »
I got my frist Handi rifle (45-70 BC 32") 2 years ago.  In that time, I have replaced the firing pin;  2 times with the hammer spring and now the transfer bar, they call it the lifter and striker assy.   It was in the shop 3 months  (back order on the part) before I found out that H&R had to replace it.   OK, I called the autherized repair center for my area in Paducah Ky.  Was told NO, it had to go to NewYork.   Called Davidson Mi, (repair center for New York)  again was told NO and given the H&R Corp. number to call.  It stated "number no longer in service."   Went back to MI. was given a new phone number. I got "Remington Arms" that is when I was told that H&R and a few others were sold to Remington.   I have found out that it, "repair" is in Ilion NY.  I have been trying to get   "Tim"   "quickdtoo"  but can not.  I am sure he knows a lot about the Handi rifle and H&R arms.   I do need some help.   Maybe I'll just get a Remington rolling block.    Thanks for your help.

That's a good idea... you should give up on that crummy H&R and donate it to someone on this site. ;)

Spanky