Author Topic: Considering one of the electronic dispenser/scale combos--- who's using one?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
I've been considering getting one, but had a few questions.  How many of you are using them?  Are you using them for pistol/revolver rounds?  Any issues?

thanks,
Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
I bought the Lyman supposedly as new and it worked fine ONCE. It hasn't worked since as the buttons you push to operate it died.

I want one of the Hornady scales in the worst way but rat now just can't afford it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
I have one of the older RCBS units made by Pact and just love it , it works well with charges from 2 grains of Bullseye all the way up to 50 grains of IMR 4350 .

When I first got it , it did tend to hang some powders like Unique and other flake stuff , yet once it got all worked in , no problems . Not sure I would ever go back to an old beam scale .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
There are lots of previous discussions on them, try the search, I got 8 pages of hits, use keyword dispenser selecting just this forum from the list. I've had my Lyman 5yrs, love it, no complaints at all, works great. You'll find all of them are subject to the same issues, Lyman has a real good FAQs on getting the most from them.

Tim

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/faqs/scales-measures.php

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,194781.msg1098988625.html#msg1098988625

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,188900.msg1098941166.html#msg1098941166

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
I have one of the original Pact units that may be identical to the one Stimpy has and it has worked great for years. Can't remember how many at present :).  Never used it for small pistol loads though.

The RCBS Lil' Dandy does such a good job of metering small doses of small granular powders that I have never seen the need to weigh each load.  I do verify the dropped charges (at random) with the digital scale and keep the digital in check with the balance beam and weight checks on each.

My main and initial purpose for the powder dispenser and scale combo was to be able to drop large amounts of large granular powder thru a measure and then let the machine trickle the last few grains of my load.  This does increase my loading speed when loading large capacity cases.

Ken

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline HL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
I've been using the PACT for the past 7 years with no problems. I check it every now and then against my beam, with no differences. I use it mainly with rifle cartridges. pistol rounds, I normally use my manual RCBS thrower.

Offline leather5to1

My experience with the RCBS is great.  For load work up, just 5 or so rounds its no big deal, but when doing anything in large numbers man its amazing.  Dump the charge, seat the bullet, by the time you turn around the next charge is ready.  As far as accuracy, its as close as any other way I do it.  I just keep an eye out for the occasional extra .1 that tumbles out when loading large stick powders.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Ive got a pact setup and a lyman. Both have worked well. Lymans a bit faster but i like the idea of the 2 part pact. If one part breaks your only paying to replace half of it. If space is tight for you it also gives you the option of just using the scale most times until a dispensor is actually needed.
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Electronic measures are interesting.  I have had a Pact electronic measure for 2 years (could not find my former remarks on the Searched threads).  After 6 uses, max, I put it away in its original box and no longer use it.

The "problem" with it?  I can throw charges twice as fast on an RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam scale with a manual powder trickler.   The electronic measure works well though in spite of this one limitation.

I tried using the Pact AND the 5-0-5 simultaneously to make rifle charges quicker than with one or the other independently.  This didn't work for me.  Kind of a left brain - right brain thing.   It was not unlike someone talking to you while you are reloading - not recommended.  Too much going on at one time.  You may, like me, get distracted by one or the other as they are dissimilar in form and function, and forget where you are in the whole  process.  Maybe that is just me though.  Still, simultaneous use is not recommended by this reloader.

The Pact electronic measure uses an independent scale that communicates through an IR port between the measure and the scale.  Pact makes an IR communicating electronic scale that weighs lightning fast to within 0.1 grain on average of my RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam as checked by calibrated weights (20 grams, 50, and 70 in combination) which come with the electronic scale.  I use the Pact electronic scale for weighing and separating all cases and components.  As I said, it is LIGHTNING fast.

I continue to use the RCBS 5-0-5 for weighing all rifle powder charges and determining the average of 10 "throws" from my progressive press powder measure as I set it up for loadng handgun charges.

Hope this helps your decision.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
I bought the RCBS a couple years ago; it’s been a great set up.
I have read some good things about the new Hornady as well.
The Hornady seems to be a little less money. Any time I buy a new reloading gadget I Read the reviews at Mid-way, if mainly positive, I then put an order in at Mid-south, prices are a little better.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
I have the RCBS scale/dispenser combo for a few years now. It is fast and easy to work with and is a pleasure to use. My balance beam scale sits under its cover where it has been for a long time. The RCBS can be programed to throw another charge every time the pan is put back under the dispensing tube. This saves time because it is dispensing the next charge while you are seating the bullet from the previous charge.

I do a calibration before each loading session. After you get use to the procedure it is fast and easy. Not sure if its even necessary but I do it anyway.

RCBS also has a long history of top notch customer service, another selling point for their scale/dispenser.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
I also use the RCBS combo unit (Charge Master 1500). I really like it and seriously doubt if I ever go back to my RCBS powder thrower. I keep it around just 'n case, but have not had to use it yet. BTW the electronic unit will reliably dispense powders that the powder thrower will not, like the stick powders. I changed the way I load just a little to accommodate the electronic scale. I would throw a block of 50 cases, check powder levels, then seat the bullets. With the electronic unit, I load a case with powder and restart the electronic unit while I seat the bullet in the one I just filled. I do not have to wait very long or not at all between dispenses. Oh, and if you do a ladder method of load development, the electronic scale is very easy to adjust powder weights.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Here are some tips for you RCBS Chargemaster users.  ;)

Tim

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/speed-up-your-rcbs-chargemaster/

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Oh, and if you do a ladder method of load development, the electronic scale is very easy to adjust powder weights.

I, and others, will 2nd that, but it is, in my opinion, easier to adjust the hanging weight of the 5-0-5 scale.

I changed the way I load just a little to accommodate the electronic scale.

Exactly.  I would have too, except, with the Pact, I felt I had to endure an inordinate wait between charges.  It may be in the way the course to fine measure is manufactured, poor IR communication between scale and measure,and/or the fact that Pact units while separate, only the scale can be used alone; the measure cannot.

Offline noylj

I like my RCBS ChargeMaster. It can be programmed to optimally speed up the dispensing of a specific load. It keeps up with my 1050s quite well.
Didn't care for my RCBS/Pact unit, and it broke during moving, so I got the CM.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Land_Owner - You certainly have a right to your views. And I respect that. Your Pact unit must be very slow compared to a RCBS Chargemaster unit. I would not consider a Chargemaster as fast as a set-up powder thrower by any means. However, if you factor in the set up time; the time to adjust the thrower to reliably throw the exact weight each time, I found the Chargemaster to be quicker to load say 50 rounds than to do all the adjusting and then throwing the powder. If you are going to load 500 cases, then the time spent setting up a thrower becomes a non factor and the thrower becomes much quicker than an electronic one. If I had one case I loaded for and could set the thrower to that weight, it would be a no brainer that the thrower would be the way to go - no adjusting. I use mine for many different cases from 38 Special (2.6 grains of Bullseye) to 444 Marlin (45 grains of RL-7). It is very easy to jump from one to another. As far as throwing different weights of powders, the adjusting of the powder weight is the only thing you have to do. Once you punch in the weight, it will dispense powder immediately to the correct weight. You adjust a beam scale, then you still have to go through the hassle of adjusting the powder thrower, or dump in a light charge of powder, wait for the scale to settle, then trickle in powder until you get up to weight. When I was starting out, I loaded for a 222 Remington. One of the best powders for it was considered IMR 4198. Try as I might, IMR 4198 just would not dispense reliably with my powder thrower. I had to use a ball powder to dispense properly. Eventually, I got a mild load of BL-C2 to work well, but it was a real time consumer.

There is one other factor...I want to think about what I am doing as I reload. Some times; not always I get a small pause between loads. I use this time to organize cases, get more bullets out of the box etc. - mostly, I use this time to think about the process and what I am doing exactly. I have caught mistakes, before they are a problem this way. Getting all wrapped up in the process and going as fast as you can, is not always the smartest thing to do. I suppose if you really think that reloading is a chore, then fast is best. Personally I enjoy the reloading process and am very picky about it. I clean cases every time they are loaded, uniform primer pockets, clean primer pockets every time they are loaded, I use a single stage press, fuss over bullet run out, etc.

You can use a powder thrower, that is your prerogative. As for me, been there, did that; I will continue to use my electronic dispenser and not look back.

Yes, I use my electronic powder dispenser for revolver cases - 38 Special, 357 Mag, 357 Maximum, 44 Mag. No issues other than those stated above. I can go from 2.6 grains of Bullseye to  24 grains of H110 in a matter of a couple minutes. It takes that longest time to empty one powder and refill to another, but that is still only a couple of minutes. If you are going to load for one case and use the same load, like for cowboy action loads, stick with a thrower. If you are going to load for many different cases and loads, or doing a lot of experimenting, get an electronic dispenser. I am not familiar with any other than the RCBS Chargemaster, but it works well and has a good warranty.

Good Luck and Good Shooting

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
I have been using the 2 peice Pact for 6 years or more with no complaints.

I use it for long grained extruded powders like IMR 4198 but still use a thrower for powders that meter well like IMR 4227.

I like having and using both.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
I wouldnt be without one. thats why i have two. One goes down i have a backup. As to speed. If you use a manual scale and trickler your measureing powder. Me im seating a bullet while the dispensor is taking care of that. Both the lyman and the updated pact is fast enough that your never going to keep up doing it manualy, not if you seating bullets too. It would be about like giving up an auto transmition in my truck and going back to a manual.
blue lives matter

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Thanks for all the great info.  I believe I'll put one on my "Must have" list.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
i have used the lyman for a few tears and i like it. it will not work under fluorescent light.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline djl4570

Are you using them for pistol/revolver rounds?  Any issues?
  I bought the RCBS unit and ended up hating it in less than a day.    In my opinion the designers were wearing their asses for hats.   The scale required 12VDC, the dispenser required 12VAC.   The walwart adapters and plugs looked identical.  If you plugged the scale into the AC adapter it would fry.    The unit took up a lot of space on my loading bench.   The unit took a long time to weigh out a charge and when I cross checked the weights on a Redding scale I found an extreme spread of nearly three tenths of a grain which is within the published tolerance of the device of plus or minus point one grains if you accept that .14 grains will be rounded .1 grains.     I concluded that I throw a charge to get close then trickle in the balance of the charge on the scale faster and more accurately.   I gave the robodispenser and scale away.   

Offline noylj

Whatdjl4570hadistheRCBS/Pactunit--nottheChargeMaster   
Ifthiscomeoutalljumbledtogether, itisWindowsfault. IwantmyMacback.       

Offline djl4570

Whatdjl4570hadistheRCBS/Pactunit--nottheChargeMaster[/l]
  That is my recollection as well.   Sorry that I wasn't clear on this.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
Kevin,

Dunno if you've read this, but here's a shootout between the Chargemaster, Pact and Lyman DPS II, it's a bit dated, I know the Lyman DPS III has been updated and is both faster and easy to dump powder which are two of the main complaints about the DPS II, the 30 minute warm up can be eliminated by just leaving it on all the time, mines been on for years with no problems. I believe the Pact has been updated since also, dunno about the RCBS tho. Also the author states the Lyman only has a 1yr warranty, but doesn't mention that the RCBS is also only one year, the Pact has a lifetime warranty on everything but the load cell and is made in Texas, the other two are made in china.

Tim

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

http://www.rcbs.com/general/warranty/

http://pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=126

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter

There is a big bar like key at the bottom of the key board, just below the C, V, B, N, M keys, it is called "space bar". If you use it, the words will not be jumbled up and your PC will work as well as a Mac. ;D It will make reading your posts much easier too. ;)

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)

There is a big bar like key at the bottom of the key board, just below the C, V, B, N, M keys, it is called "space bar". If you use it, the words will not be jumbled up and your PC will work as well as a Mac. ;D It will make reading your posts much easier too. ;)

+1

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
I have the new hornady unit and it works like a charm.  Rarely use my balance beam anymore.  My friend has the Smart Reloader (yellow one).  After two that had differing issues, (one just would not dispense, the other had digits missing on the readout) he got one that works well.  It even has storage memory, something the hornady doesn't.  Got my hornady on sale for $199, he got the smart for $149.

Bobby
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles