Author Topic: Help with Dikar .45 cal cannon  (Read 1602 times)

Offline carmy53

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help with Dikar .45 cal cannon
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:47:49 AM »
A friend is going to be giving me an old Dikar Spain .45 cal rifled bore cannon soon and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to shoot it. I already have some .440 lead balls and some FFF Goex Black powder. I assume those will work in the gun but I don't know what size fuse to get and I'm really confused on the patches. There are dry patches and lubed patches. And the thicknesses go from .010 to .015, .018, to .020.
So, any recommendations on what size fuse and which patches I should use?

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
Re: Help with Dikar .45 cal cannon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
Fuse... check and see if you can determine the size of the vent/fuse-hole/touch-hole.  If you have a drill index (set of drill bits) start with an 1/8" bit and work your way down to smaller sizes trying to get a bit to go in the hole.  The one that goes in is your vent size.
Then go to this site and see what they have that will fit.

http://www.cannonfuse.com/store/pc/home.asp

Good luck!

GOW

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »
just go for fuse that will fit the vent. Dont worry about patching the ball, if it doesnt roll out of the barrel it will be fine. I have several of those little guys and it just isnt that critical. the recoil from them can be pretty severe so dont load them heavy, otherwise have fun.
bob

Offline keith44

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »
patching will raise pressures, and increase recoil and noise.  It will also aid with accuracy, so it will be a balancing act.  If you load it as if it were a pistol, with light powder charges and a .010 patch it should be fine.  If the patch is too tight pressures could get too high, and there is the risk of leaving a gap between the powder and projectile.  This can and as history has shown will (in some cases) cause a barrel to rupture.  If you do not care about absolute accuracy shoot naked. (unpatched projectile.)   ::)   (perverts)  ;D

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:15:09 PM »
Fuse... check and see if you can determine the size of the vent/fuse-hole/touch-hole.  If you have a drill index (set of drill bits) start with an 1/8" bit and work your way down to smaller sizes trying to get a bit to go in the hole.  The one that goes in is your vent size.

Good luck!

GOW

Good idea on the drill bits. I'll try that.

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
just go for fuse that will fit the vent. Dont worry about patching the ball, if it doesnt roll out of the barrel it will be fine. I have several of those little guys and it just isnt that critical. the recoil from them can be pretty severe so dont load them heavy, otherwise have fun.
bob
Thanks Bob. As far as load goes, I've read that somewhere between 10gr and 30gr is right. What would you recommend?

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:24 PM »
I fire my 45 caliber Thompson pistol with a very small wad of newspaper in front of the ball and it is very accurate.  Somehow the ball still engages the rifling as it pushes the paper from the bore.

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:27:45 AM »
The original loading instructions I have for a .45 gives a starting charge of 10 grains 2F with a maximum of 30 grains.  You will want to have it tied down otherwise they like to do back flips. I can scan and send you a copy of the original instructions if you want them.
Bob

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
The original loading instructions I have for a .45 gives a starting charge of 10 grains 2F with a maximum of 30 grains.  You will want to have it tied down otherwise they like to do back flips. I can scan and send you a copy of the original instructions if you want them.
Bob
Bob, that would be great. Thanks.
By the way, I have started another thread with a picture asking about refinishing the cannon barrel if you have any ideas about that.
Dave

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »

Good luck!

GOW
I measured the vent hole using my drill bits and 7/64 (.109375) fit but 1/8 (.125) didn't so I ordered some .116 diameter fuse. I hope I did right.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:45:28 PM »
A set of numbered drills or metric drills would give you a better selection to measure with.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline carmy53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »
A set of numbered drills or metric drills would give you a better selection to measure with.
Well, I have already ordered the fuse so all I can do now is hope it fits when I get it.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi carmy53,
The 1/16th fuse is fine, I use that or 3'' pre-cut 3mm in this barrel, and a few other .50 cal. smoothbores I've got. I cut the 3'' sections in two, and the 1.5'' pieces burn for approx. three seconds. I'd go along with Keith and use the .010 patches with the .440 ball, I usually use pre-lubed because I'm lazy, but it's easy to lube them yourself. I've also still got the CVA instruction booklet, and those charge recommendations are very safe. BTW, Bob's very accurate when he says that these guns do gymnastics when fired. Be safe and have fun!
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.