Author Topic: Classic Carbine range and chrono report  (Read 543 times)

Offline Muddly

• Trade Count: (0)
Classic Carbine range and chrono report
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
Took her out today, before the heavens opened. Was shooting Federal 45 Colt American Eagle 225gr sp's. This is my second range trip with this little girl and I must say she's eager to please! The Federals claim 860 fps from a handgun, and from my 20 inch carbine I got 1150 fps. 3 rounds were under 1100 fps ( 1015,1070 and 1090 to be precise) and gave flyers. The balance of the 20 rounds I fired ranged from 1142 to 1157 fps. Recoil and muzzleblast were VERY mild. Didn't lose the target in the scope when she recoiled. She only picked up trace amounts of copper just ahead of the throat. Cases were still sooted, but nowhere near what the Winchester Cowboy loads did! Accuracy was excellent. I'm not really sure what to expect from this carbine, but my 50 yard groups were an inch to 1 7/16th for 3 rounds. At 100 yards they went from 7/8 to 2 15/16th for 3. It was getting alittle breezy and then it POURED. This one likes the sandbag under the forearm. Under the frame groups were significantly larger...Also, resting my hand on the bag and gripping the rifle gave no difference in point of impact. Groups were alittle larger aas the buttplate didn't want to stay on my wet sleeve! On at 100 required + 3 inches at 50. I can live with that. I'm gonna have FUN with this one.
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline Darreld Walton

• Eagles Don't Catch Flies
  • Avid Poster
Re: Classic Carbine range and chrono report
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:57:02 PM »
The last time I put mine on the bags, I was using 260 Noslers and 2400 for a fairly stout little load.  Sighted dead on at a hundred, it was within a hand print of shooting to point of aim at 200 as well.  I'm sure it looked like a rainbow in between, but still found it interesting that at those two yardages it shot to the same point.
Fun little rifle, but the more I shoot the "classic" type wood butts, the more I long for a pistol grip of some sort for a little more control, and a higher comb for better position with the scopes I've mounted.  I found a decent, tight, straight grained blank big enough for about three buttstocks and forearms to come out of if I cut it just right.  Maybe next payday, I'll see if Harbor Freight has a bandsaw that'll gnaw through it.
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Muddly

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
I'm with you on the buttstock issue. The carbine stock makes it alittle harder to control and by that I mean consistency in cheekweld and grip tension. Of course a regular stock might upset the balance of the piece, which is quite good. If keeping the carbine stock is important, a possiblity would be to use part of a muzzleloader's pistol grip type triggerguard, as found on T/C Renegades or Lyman plains rifles. Cut the grip portion off and inlet/attach it. The appearance and balance of the carbine stock would be preserved and controllability enhanced, but the cheekweld would still be poor. As far as loads go, I'm going to look for loads that will give me 1600fps with both 250 and 300 gr bullets so as to match loads I use in my inline .50 cal. Non-mag XTP's are NASTY to deer at that speed! Good luck with your stock project!
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:38 AM »
Buffalo Arms has a wood 'pistolgrip' attachment, a repro of the one for the Officer's Model Springfield (trapdoor); a bit pricey. but very nice.
The walnut TDC buttstock is working well for me on the 38-55 TM, but I have the peep, for the 45-70 I have the UV lams c/w MC and it is just right with low mounts and the old Weaver K-3
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:47:12 AM »
I luv mine because the trajectory is about the same as the .22 long rifles, ;) really like lobbing them big chunks of lead at mud puddles away out in the field when it rains a bunch. ;D Makes much larger splashes than the twenty - twos !! 8) Just using the irons on mine.
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline Darreld Walton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »
I've considered both the wooden/steel grip adapter as found on the older H&R Trapdoor carbines, as well as trying to put one of the color cased TC trigger guard/grip thingies that I picked up at a gunshow years ago that is a replacement for the brass guard on the "Hawken".  I may try going the wood route first, as my Father in Law has asked me to do just such a project on his old pet 1898 Krag .30-40 rifle.  It, also, suffers from a low comb, and he has a side-mount scope mounted on it, and it DESPERATELY needs some height.  Them 220 Hornady's at 2100 fps are quite comfortable when you have a good cheek weld, but lift yer head off that buttstock, and, well, I try to remember to take my dentures out before I do.......
I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »
After I mounted my scope on mine I had the same issues with the low comb on the stock.

I like the looks, but this was a gun that I intend to hunt with a lot, and it wasn't going to work for me.

I aquired a synthetic Survivor stock and forearm and the pistol grip and stock solves the lack of a control and low comb.

It may not be as pretty with this stock, but it's function is great, and the results have been positive so far.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Darreld Walton

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
In a "box o stuff" that I acquired at an auction years ago, there was a lace-on cheek pad made for an M1D sniper rifle.  I'm about through refurbishing it, and am going to put it on and see how much difference it really makes.  I pretty much already know, and the thing is FUGLY, but, if it works and I stop getting beat up, it may have found a home!