Author Topic: 44Magnum barrel on an SB2 receiver?  (Read 411 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
44Magnum barrel on an SB2 receiver?
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »
I was talking to a guy in Gander Mountain recently, and the subject of Handi Rifles came up.  He told me that he had a Handi rifle in 44Mag, that he purchased, and then sent back to the factory for a .223Rem barrel and a 12Ga barrel.  I asked him in a nice way, if maybe he wasn't mistaken, and that it may have been originally purchased in .223Rem, and then sent back to have the .44Mag & 12Ga barrels fitted.  He was adamant  that it was originally a .44Mag., going so far as to say that the .44Mag barrel had the serial number engraved, while the other two barrels had the serial number etched.
I know current factory .44Mag Handis come on SB1 frames.  I was just wondering if his .44Mag. was produced on a SB2 frame?  Does anyone know if NEF/H&R ever made a .44Mag Handi Rifle using an SB2 frame? 
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 44Magnum barrel on an SB2 receiver?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »
H&R1871 357mags and 44mags were offered only on SB2 frames thru 2007, the 2008 model year changed to SB1.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
I don't know when it was made but my .44 mag is on a SB2 frame.

Tony

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
Same here mine was on a SB-2 also.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »
Guess I was wrong :-[ , if I remember correctly he told me he purchased the gun back around "9/11" (2001) which would put it in the SB2 time frame.

Thanks for the input guys.

Tim,  as usual, thanks for access to the wealth of knowledge.

That's what so great or frustrating  :-\ about these guns, you never learn everything.  8)
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:19:15 PM »
Well, to further confuse the issue it's hard to tell what's up cuz they've been fitting SB1 frames with those barrels too since 2009, so you could find an older SB1 as well as an SB2 frame with a factory fitted barrel!   ???

Always keepin us guessin!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:34 AM »
Just about the time I feel confident enough to stick my neck out an say 'this or that' I find out Im wrong again, but Tim is always to the rescue, and nice about it too!
Ive been on a few other sites and the 'quick' responses here sure make life easier.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:58:12 PM »
Just about the time I feel confident enough to stick my neck out an say 'this or that' I find out Im wrong again, but Tim is always to the rescue, and nice about it too!
Ive been on a few other sites and the 'quick' responses here sure make life easier.
Believe me, your not alone!