Author Topic: is there such a thing as a low-priced scope with 80+ moa vertical adjustment ?  (Read 732 times)

Offline M'issippi Bruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Until I can save the funds for my preferred scope for my 50, I need something that I can use on my rifle to get in some trigger time. The gun has a 20 m.o.a. base on it and my currently available scopes all run out of vertical adjustment with point of impact still a few feet high at 100 yards - eventually, I plan to try my hand at 1000 yd competition. For now, though, I need to put in a lot of practice and load development. The only safe, convenient ranges have facilities for 400m or less and I don't want to have to hold under by however-many feet just to get on the target board or shoot at 50m just to stay in the berm.

Recommendations and comments solicited !

Thanks all,

Bruceissippi

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
I would first try Burris Signatuare rings with the right inserts you can gain one heck of alot both ways elevation & windage.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Might also consider a base without the 20moa elevation built in, then switch back to it when the time comes to reach out past the limits f that setup.

Just a Shooter

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline M'issippi Bruce

Rifle is a Serbu - base is factory installed and has to be swapped out by the factory. Wouldn't want to pay for a new base + labor + shipping if I can get something usable at a decent price. Rather put the extra cost aside for the desired optics

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
Try adding a shim to the scope ring to raise the scope higher.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Rifle is a Serbu - base is factory installed and has to be swapped out by the factory. Wouldn't want to pay for a new base + labor + shipping if I can get something usable at a decent price. Rather put the extra cost aside for the desired optics

That being the case, the Burris Signature rings with inserts to adjust the scope elevation would be a good option until you are ready to go beyond the point they are needed (or find a scope that meets your needs).  I doubt you'll find an inexpensive scope with that much elevation adjustment.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
What is low price? The Millet LRS has like 140moa, I put one on my win mag with a 20moa base and I still have 1/2 turn at 2000yds.  Think I got mine for around $400, the glass is not bad, the clicks are VERY positive. It is big with the 35mm tube. I like mine thought it was worth the $$$

Offline M'issippi Bruce

The Millet sounds interesting and at the top of the current price range - thanks

Did it come with rings or do I need to get a set of 35mm ?

Offline wyohandi

• Avid Poster
  • NE Wyoming
It comes with rings