Author Topic: scope for a youth/thin barreled handi .243  (Read 378 times)

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
scope for a youth/thin barreled handi .243
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
Burris 2-7x35mm $139   supposedly good AND cheap too
Burris 3-9x40mm $189  same as above, bigger and slightly higher mag
Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40mm $240  basic
Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x50mm $330 same as above, bigger exit pupil and brighter for low-light shots. 
Nikon Monarch 2-8x32mm $300 high-end MONARCH, good enough lenses to compensate for small objective and mag though?
Nikon Buckmasters 4-12x50mm SF $389 slightly high mag for up close, but more reach, more $$$
Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm $300 huge on my youth rifle, almost too much mag up close, small exit pupils.

I REALLY like the 2-8 monarch and 3-9x50 buckmasters, however that's not a lot of mag/reach for $300 plus.  I wonder if the MONARCH line really makes the image so much better that I'd not have to worry about the image being slightly darker or 1x mag lost to a "bigger" buckmasters.  The primary concern is deer, secondary squirrels.  I do not want to be "over-scoped" on up close deer that "ninja" their way up to me on stand, nor do I want to be over-powered on a close up squirrel.  I want to be able to pick a squirrel out up in a tree from 200yds and thread the needle to hit them with a varmint bullet.  That precludes the higher-quality generalist scopes and forces the choice to a buckmaster... but it's hard to give up the big exit pupil and forgiving, bright, 1/2hr earlier/later shots that might help me bag a good buck.  Am I asking too much for a relatively cheap scope?  Also, from what I've read the burris are built really similiar to the leupolds, but I've not had a chance to look through or examine any burris in person.  Nikon prostaff and leupold rifleman are decent looking scopes and work but I am not impressed by the image quality, too fuzzy for me.... I gotta go higher end nikon to be happy, or burris (being supposedly sturdy like leupold but cheaper than leupold or nikon???).  I know, I probably started a troll gathering, sorry.  I've honestly never bought a scope before, I've just used hand me downs or as-is package deal scopes until this rifle (I'm not shooting at elevated targets without a scope I REALLY feel confident in, nor am I taking headshots on deer without that trust).  thanks guys (girls too?).

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: scope for a youth/thin barreled handi .243
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:52:39 AM »
squib post this in the Handirifle H&R section. Those guys have tried all the scopes and can point you in the right direction!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us