Author Topic: Cannon pictures  (Read 850 times)

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Cannon pictures
« on: May 28, 2011, 03:16:13 PM »

I posted this picture earlier, but the cannon and balls have since been repainted.  It was silver.  It looks nice now.  They have the Veteran's cemetery all fixed up nice for Veteran's Day.  This is in the Greendale, Indiana cemetery.

This picture is also in the Greendale Cemetery.  Most of the Veterans here are from WW I to present day.

This cannon is in the Lawrenceburg City Park.  It looks to be bronze.  I think it is Civil War era.

I would appreciate information about these cannons.  Happy Veteran's Day!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Cannon pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »
     Forestclimber,   thanks for posting the photo of the Rodman Gun.  You realize of course that they have the wrong projectiles stacked up next to it.  No, I can't tell an 8" cannonball from a 10" cannonball at that distance, however I can tell the difference from a cannon ball and a cylindical, large rifle projectile, which is certainly what should be there.  Take a good look at the muzzle of that big Rodman.  Doesn't it look odd?  It does not look rounded at the outer edge as it should and there appear to be concentric rings upon the muzzle face.  This conversion to a muzzle inserted, rifled lining usually brought a 10" Rodman down to an 8" Rifle, much more rarely, an 8" down to a 6.4" rifle.  The photo below illustrates just this type of conversion.  Sorry, I don't know anything about machine guns or a bronze gun with an odd hump behind it's muzzle swell.

Tracy

Rodman, Muzzle Insertion Conversion to a seacoast rifle at Fort Knox, Bucksport, Maine.

Details of the muzzle.  Now you can see why the Rodman muzzle in your shot looks odd.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Forestclimber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
The bronze piece looks like one of the 1841 series to me .

Nice looking cemetery .... for Memorial Day .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Forestclimber

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:24:14 AM »
The bore of the Rodman cannon is 8 inches.  Here is what it says around the opening on the bore:

WPF 1885   M.S. Co 30   No. 30   F.E.H.   16010

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:21:24 AM »
Forestclimber,

The WPF marked on the muzzleface stands for West Point Foundry where the gun was cast, and I believe the M.S. Co stands for the Midvale Steel Company, which manufactured rifled sleeves for some of these guns (this one has 24 groove right hand twist). The No. 30 is the Registry number, the weight is 16,010 lbs, and the year 1885. I don't know what the letters F.E.H. represent, the inspector of this gun is identified as RB on the National Registry.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.