Author Topic: Ready to shoot, too dang hot.  (Read 1104 times)

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Ready to shoot, too dang hot.
« on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »
I've been loading ammo like a banshee, and have a couple of (new to me) guns to work with.  My loading area is air conditioned, the range is not.  After 8 - 10 hours in the heat working, I'm having a lot of trouble getting up the gumption to go out in 100 degree heat to shoot.  I need someone from a cool state to adopt me and take me in.  I will bring all my Handi's, and loading equip.  Of course I will also have to bring the wife and dog.  We don't eat (too) much.

Somewhere like Montana would be nice for the summer.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
Re: Ready to shoot, too dang hot.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
You and me both!

Got about 300 made up for my 22-250, and about 200 for my 30-06. No point in shooting them. Too hot to for them to group.
I bought a CZ 22 when I finally learned that the loads that shot great at 75 degrees looked like buckshot at 100 degrees.
Then the CZ groups opened up.
Bought a Henry with open sights so groups wouldn't matter.
If I can hit a tennis ball at 50 yards with 1 out of 50 I am happy.

Gotta be done shooting by 9 am or you will melt.

Let's try some ice fishing on the Chattahoochee this winter! I will get an ice auger; you build the ice house.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
It was 101 at 6 pm here on my porch, in southern Mo. Water gun is all I'm gonna shoot until this lets up. Still got the soaker hose running on my tomatoes.
remember the starfish

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
thats the problem  with  handi rifles....most are blue....[with brown spots]

only  one of  mine is stainless

in  florida  we sweat a lot....so  i prefer stainless

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »
Hotter than 7 Hells here in MS too. I've shot a few groups the last couple of weekends,but it sure takes a long time for the barrels to cool off,even riding them around in the truck with the barrel stuck out the window. My tomatos are making their last showing I think,squash have long given up the ghost,peas are makin,corn twisted up a long time ago. Bring on October!!

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »
Bring on October!!

I hear that! It has been over 100deg here for 22 days straight. We set a new record in Lawton on Sat with a high of 112deg. I wanna go back to the Midwest sooo bad. I just hope it cools off a bit and I can get into the garage to organize my shooting and reloading supplies.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »
We're having the opposite problem here in western Oregon.  It was about 70 and cloudy today and it's supposed to be 65 and rain tomorrow... 

It rained so much here in spring I was temped to let my beard grow out and build an ark...

Tony

Offline S.E.Ak

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
  • Wrangell Ak
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
Tommrow it supposed to hit 70 here so shade will be the order of the day.Most days so far have been fifties low sixties fourties at night

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:27:28 AM »
Tommrow it supposed to hit 70 here so shade will be the order of the day.Most days so far have been fifties low sixties fourties at night

Now that would be so tough.5:30 in the morning here and already down to 86.Another over 100 today.Not even thinking about shooting.All though I did a bit of hunting Saturday afternoon.Killed a trophy mole.She had dug up a lot of my back yard.Saw the mound moving and a high brass #6 12 gauge did the trick.
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 05:02:21 AM »
When it's not hot and humid, it's raining and blowing, and when it's not doing either one of those it is still blowing.  On top of that the gnats, ticks, horse flies, deer flies and black flies take turns chewing on you.  It's hard to concentrate on your shot when you're being eaten alive.  The little monsters move too fast to shoot, and if you tried, you'd probably hit your own head, cause that's where they hang out.  Summer here on the U.P. is the worst season of the year.  I'll never understand why folks flock here then.  I'm a lot happier running the snow blower than I am the lawn mower.  Your barrel never gets hot when it's zero degrees ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:26:14 AM »
......................... On top of that the gnats, ticks, horse flies, deer flies and black flies take turns chewing on you.  It's hard to concentrate on your shot when you're being eaten alive.  The little monsters move too fast to shoot, and if you tried, you'd probably hit your own head, cause that's where they hang out.  Summer here on the U.P. is the worst season of the year. .........  I'm a lot happier running the snow blower than I am the lawn mower....

Pete

Pete:
We aren't neighbors and it is similar here. We haven't hit 80 this year. The dog barely stops to pee or poop before high tailing it back inside. We all feel like a 24 hour bloodbank for the insects.

Weather !!  Ha Ha Ha Right now at 12:18 local time I got on a medium weight T-shirt, long sweatpants,  socks and slippers.

I'm not planning to go to the Range or do any reloading.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
It seems to me it was a lot cooler before they  thought up this "heat index" thing. 

My rifle, laying on a poncho liner next to the shooting bench went unfired while I shot another.  I had along my lazer thermometer just for kicks.  In the shade and unfired, it was 122 degrees f. on the barrel surface.  Talk about "heating up".  After 3 shots, my 223 bull barrel was 133 d.

I thought about taking along a large ice chest and just pull the barrel's and ice them down until I shoot.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
The heat/hum. comes and goes here in S.Cent. WI and the deer flies and Skeeters are the worst weve seen in some 25yrs. here. Just heard the Brown Bat is almost on the endangered list, if youve ever seen a pile of stuff representing the bugs they eat in a season you know why we need 'em.
I am not enjoying this summer..........
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:03:43 PM »
It's a hundred plus here in Phoenix from mid March to the last of October. Here you just suck it up and go. At least the ranges here have shade cover, so it's not to bad It was 119 degress last Monday.I guess being a desert rat, you just go.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 07:18:56 PM »
The wife was real itchy yesterday due to the high heat.  I was sweating from the time I went outside till I got into an air conditioned building.  I ran around with the top down on my car all day.  It got up to 83 yesterday.  That's hot for us.

Having grown up in Tennessee, and lived in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Alamogordo, and Miami, I know what heat and humidity is.  I feel for you guys, but that's why I live in Alaska.  Today was rainy most of the day.  Temp in the high 60s.  Right now it's 8:20 in the evening and it's 58 degrees with rain.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Slowhanddd

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 01:34:04 AM »
Right now it's 8:20 in the evening and it's 58 degrees with rain.

Things that dreams are made of!Actually it's raining here this morning.Only getting up to 98 today.
Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
it's 8:20 in the evening and it's 58 degrees

Shoot!  ::)   In Atlanta it was 87 degrees at 9:30 this morning! 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »
It is Hot here in Texas As well ;D
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »
I had to rezero my squirrel gun that was in the back of my vehicle when I got rear-ended last weekend.  It still clusters most shots up together decently enough I think, though not always right where I wanted.  I think I was aiming at mirage in my scope instead of letters on the box I was shooting at.  I'll probably have to rezero it to undo what I did today  :-\

Offline frgerald

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
Heck, we're having to shoot hogs here in Texas in self-defense, they keep trying to get in where it's air conditioned!!  ::) ::) ;D
Food is God's love made edible!

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Hey jeepman.... what kinda hog is that? 

Gotta say it's cool here in Houston... hasn't been over 100 all day.

Folks up north never could understand why Texans wear such big hats.

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 11:22:20 AM »
Hey jeepman.... what kinda hog is that? 

Gotta say it's cool here in Houston... hasn't been over 100 all day.

Folks up north never could understand why Texans wear such big hats.

LOL !! I thought it was to block out your rear view mirror. ;)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
I keep thinking I should get some shooting in with new loads but right now the little bloodsuckers are winning and then it should be cooler to cold to get everything sighted in. Our season doesn't start 'til the last Friday of October.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
The critter in the picture is a Sika .They are originally from Russia and Northern Japan.It is considered an exotic here so no season .All it takes to hunt them is a large amount of currency. ;D Most of the hogs around here got their hair singed in the big fires we have been having.Deer season will be bad this year..... no rain and a large die off from the fire ( no browse) .Pray for rain!
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »
If I could redirect some of ours I would, we got plenty.

Offline leserz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
been high 90' to 100  most every day  for the last month . in hot springs, ark. to hot for me have some health problems. have a a/c in our little range shack. but makes it seem hotter when you leave it. ac in my car don't work. got 4 guns i bought havent shot any of them ine i bought in march this year