Author Topic: New to me  (Read 809 times)

Offline woodhick

• Trade Count: (0)
New to me
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
Greetings all.  First timer here trying to gather information on a recent acquisition. I purchased it from an estate sale for $16.00.  From my research online I believe it is an "Old Ironsides" .69 cal. There are no markings on it at all. It appears to have been a display piece that was never fired and I  have no plans on firing it either.  I haven't seen this carriage in any pictures but I don't care for the looks of it. I would like to construct a new one but cannot seem to locate and plans. I would like to make it as authentic as possible. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. 

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: New to me
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 04:02:48 AM »
$16?  Sweet!
Find a copy of "Round Shot and Rammers".  It will have all the drawings you need and is reasonably priced.
Welcome to the forum.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 04:18:34 AM »
That appears to be a home made cannon.  Looks very interesting.  That's a good $16 find.

The proportions of the carriage are not right and if you do just one thing to it, it will look 100% better.  Make some larger wheels.

You  can also make a quoin to fit in the slide in the carriage.

Round Shot and Rammers is a good source for drawings.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 05:18:23 AM »
As DD said this was a hand made or home made cannon who ever did it did a nice job, looks like quartersawn oak for the carriage.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:33:48 AM »
Welcome aboard, woodhick. It's basically all been said, but you did well for little. I like the profile of that improvised barrel, and I also happen to like the carriage; I believe it's made out of mahogany, and well made at that (Zulu, aren't the front and rear transoms attached to the cheeks with dado joints?). I'd go along wth DD's opinion and make larger wheels (the front wheels a little larger than the rear), and I'd also make the cutout in the front transom under the barrel a little larger. Then all you'd need is capsquares to hold the barrel down, and also as DD said you need a quoin (wooden wedge with a handle) that rides forward and backward in the groove cut in the stool bed. If you lightly sand that mahogany, apply a stain (red mahogany, or whatever you like), then a clear finish coat, I think that carriage would look fine. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
Cannoneer,
They do appear to be dado joints.  If it is mahogany, I wouldn't stain it.  Laquer only would show the richness of the wood without stain.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:18:09 AM »
$16 ???  You STOLE that!!!  Ridiculous deal, may as well have been free!

What are the barrel dimensions?  Bore size and OD at the touch hole?

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »
$16.00 for .69 cal  >:(  mine cost me a tad over $300.  Mike H. is right, you stole it!!

I don't know that it is an "old Ironsides".  Here's mine, your barrel and dimentions look a bit on the slim side.  But that could just be the difference in which era the two were built.

Welcome to the board!!  Go ahead and shoot it (blanks) it is addictive  ;) .

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline woodhick

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments.  I bought it from an estate sale that was on line so all I had was a picture. I didn't realize how big it was until I went and picked it up, I knew it was a steal then.  The carriage does use dado joints and it looks like it was lacquered due to the flakes that are coming off.  I will be taking some of the suggestions from you all and modifying the carriage. I am also going to construct a new one out of oak, something with similar proportions to the barrel.
The proportions of the barrel are:
Diameter at the touch hole = 1.83"  (I took the circumference and used an on line calculator to determine this. It may be off slightly)
Barrel Length = 12.5"
Bore Size = .75"

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
woodhick,

Along with making a new carriage of oak, I'm glad that you've also decided to refurbish the carriage that came with the barrel. This is simply a personal opinion, but when I get something like this where you know the machinist/hobbyist put a lot of effort into making a quality piece, I like to keep things similar to the way they intended it to look, just as a way of paying respect to their craftsmanship (not that I wouldn't also choose to make a brand new carriage to my preferences).

I usually don't pipe in on this topic, but if the bore of your brass barrel is .75 caliber then for safety reasons the minimum breech diameter should be 2¼-inches; so I would never fire any projectiles out of it.   
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:00:28 AM »
If it is mahogany, I wouldn't stain it.  Laquer only would show the richness of the wood without stain.
Zulu

Well, Mister Zulu, let me state that I agree with your assessment, but then again on the other hand, I also happen to disagree :o ; so now let's see if we can iron out the wrinkles in my crooked Zen-like pronouncement. :P   It all depends on the piece of mahogany you've got to work with! I have seen some examples of Honduran mahogany that were literally the most beautiful pieces of wood that I've ever laid eyes upon, and I think that to stain that wood would be idiotic (should be considered criminal). These two photos on the other hand, show examples of African mahogany; one is of a carriage that I built, and the other of the piece of wood that the material came from. African mahogany is not a very spectacular looking wood, I think it's pretty when finished, but if I hadn't stained this carriage it would display a dull pinkish brown color.

African mahogany carriage stained with 'Minwax Red Mahogany 225'.

3'' x 6'' x 36'' piece of African mahogany with a .75 cal 19'' Parrott resting on it.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 08:42:56 AM »
cannoneer,
That stained carriage does look nice!  I do wonder what the unfinished board would look like with just a coat of clear satin laquer.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:10:15 AM »
I can't remember what I used now, I think it was either tung oil, or Birchwood Casey's 'Tru-Oil' gun stock finish, but even though an oil based finish would darken the wood somewhat, I still believe that without the stain the wood's appearance would come across as too light.