Author Topic: forarm o-ring size needed ?  (Read 430 times)

Offline casca1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
  • Contributor
forarm o-ring size needed ?
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:14:07 AM »
yes,
since it was probably posted several different time, I was hoping that someone wouldn't mind repeating for me,
The size of o-ring used to in the forearm. How is it placed ?  it is a rubber o-ring ?

I may have, a few laying around at work that could be used, probably a few extra

thanks again
casca
I DON'T WANT NO MORE ARMY LIFE
PLEASE SIR,
I WANNA GO HOME
1983-1990

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
Re: forarm o-ring size needed ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
It will depend on the barrel type you have in my findings- since all forearms are the same the diameter of your barrel will determine how much of an oring it takes to keep it from touching anywhere else. I have a bunch of the green castration o rings from the farm store, I just cut one in half so it makes 2 "O"s and use one half. all you are doing is keeping the barrel from touching the wood at any spot.  At least thats what I have done. It isn't very complex,and I think there are many sizes that would perform the function. Also what works great with this is the allen screw put in the forend screw hole first that stops the screw at a set point (loc tite the allen screw in below where your forend screw goes) then with the oring keeping the barrel from touching the wood and the set screw keeping the pressure a constant every time you take the barrel off or on you have an exact duplicatable performance.
This is covered in the FAQ as well.
hope it works well for you.  thejanitor

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
it kinda varies, cord'n to tha relief needed.
just let them fit snug on tha lug.
i use several different sizes (thickness & width) depending on tha style stocks used.
but others mite have different ideas  ;)

brent, me and you wuz type'n at tha same time !!! you got gud info !!! ;D
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
I've done what 'thejanitor' said, set screw and O-ring.  So far it's worked good.  Played with the depth of the set screw a little... in all the way, then back off a little at a time until it seems right, then locktight in. 

Some folks use a torque screwdriver instead, but that seemed to complicated, and another tool to 'forget' when I'm going shooting.

Hardware store O-rings... 3/8" I think, is what I got.

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...