Author Topic: Elk in Idaho tomorrow (Got one)  (Read 1391 times)

Offline bigswede

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Contributor
Elk in Idaho tomorrow (Got one)
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »
Elk rifle season opens here in N. Idaho tomorrow.  Me and the wife are going out for a morning hunt before I have to go to work.  Anybody else started chasing the Wapiti yet?  I have a lonely 350 rem mag I'll be using this year, if it doesn't do me any good I'll get out my 338-06AI, it always seems to be lucky.
"LIVE TO HUNT, HUNT TO LIVE"

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Elk in Idaho tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:30:50 PM »
I'll be leaving Wed. for N.W. Colorado. Hope you are very late for work Monday. With bloody hands! 8)
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »
I'll be leaving Wed. for N.W. Colorado. Hope you are very late for work Monday. With bloody hands! 8)

Yeh, It would just be aweful to have to call in sick ;)   Good luck in Colorado.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Got some meat yesterday, a little 5x5 raghorn bull.  I had parked my four wheeler in the dark about 6:00 am.  Walked in to the first clear cut and ran into 4 other guys and two people driving around in a pickup.  I headed into the next drainage to get away from the people and ran into the two guys in the pickup again, very frustrated by now.  I headed up over a big ridge into yet another drainage where there isn't much for roads.  Coming down off the back of that long ridge I caught movement way down below me,  then I saw a cow run through.  I started down off the ridge and a bull bugled down in the bottom.  I was scrambling down through the wet brush and timber cow calling as I went, fall on my butt and slid a few times.  I was about half way down to the bottom when I heard some brush break off to my left.  I saw a little bit of antler tines to my left,  he was about 30 feet away.  He stopped in the brush behind some cedar limbs.  I found a small patch of brown through the limbs and let loose with the 350 rem mag.  He instantly dropped and rolled/flopped down the steep grade another 40 feet and came to rest tangled up in a small tree.  When I got to him I heard the bigger bull who had bugle take off after his cows.  No matter though the freezer will be full again.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Re: Elk in Idaho tomorrow (Got one)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
 ;)  Good ending...isn't that the way, you knock down a bull or buck only to see a bigger one run off.... ;)  Happened to me mostly on deer, last time this year...it is GREAT you can be pleased with the game you have taken and not lament the big one escaping...Hope you didn't have to bring him out in pieces...Our elk season opened yesterday...no luck yet..saw some this am, plus 4 moose...maybe we will be lucky tonite, or next week... :D  Have you hunted deer yet???????? Congradulations on the elk...

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Yeh, I was able to get him off the mountain in one piece, but then had to cut him in half to load him on the 4-wheeler.  That was quite a chore by myself.  It was about 3 miles out to the pickup from there.  No, haven't started hunting deer yet.  We have until December 1 for whitetails and November 9 for mulies.  There are other areas for mulies that run until the end of November but they are several hours away, with the price of gas thats not always possible.  Good luck on your hunting.

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:25:14 PM »
Here is a picture of my little bull.  The father in law got a pretty nice cow today.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 07:21:02 AM »
 ;)  Nice bull, what bullet did you use????? Yesterday, I filled my general elk tag with a nice cow, used my .300 Win. with 200 grain Nosler Part...my country is the opposite of Idaho...shot this cow about 250 yards across an open park...Did my time hunting black timber...no more...after loading this one and getting her out, I  think my elk hunting days are closing... ;)

Offline bigswede

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:47:08 AM »
;)  Nice bull, what bullet did you use? ??? ? Yesterday, I filled my general elk tag with a nice cow, used my .300 Win. with 200 grain Nosler Part...my country is the opposite of Idaho...shot this cow about 250 yards across an open park...Did my time hunting black timber...no more...after loading this one and getting her out, I  think my elk hunting days are closing... ;)

I used a 225 Sierra, I chronographed it at 2660 fps out of my 20" barrel.  I also have a load for some 250 gr round nose but I chose the Sierra because there are a lot of clear cuts where I hunt and the shots can be out to 3 to 400 yds, then i end up shooting my bull at bow range :D

Offline supertodd

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:21:44 AM »
Got to love the 35's. My 35 whelen has put the hurt to a couple of bulls, 3 bears, and about  9 blacktail bucks.  Its amazing how much knockdown power the 35's have.