Author Topic: good left handed flint lock  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
good left handed flint lock
« on: August 01, 2011, 04:18:26 AM »
Anybody have a source of a good left handed flint lock?  I've shot a lot of percussion, but never flint.  I'm interested in something like the Kentucky or blue ridge, preferably 50 cal to 58 round ball, and good quality.  I wouldn't mind putting together a kit, I've got the wood and metal working skills but don't know where to start.  Also I cast my own, so ball availibility is not an issue as long as I can get a mould for it.

I have heard that you can take a right handed flint lock and convert it to left handed without too much trouble.  Doesn't sound rite to me, but as I said I'm a newbie with flints.

Thanks
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: good left handed flint lock
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
No way a right hand lock, flint or percussion, can be converted to left hand, much less a whole firearm, unless you like shooting upside down. The only mass produced left hand flintlock I know of is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It is more like a Hawken style than a Kentucky but they are highly regarded by their owners. Otherwise, only custom rifles are to be found in left handed form.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:09 AM »
Thanks, any good resources on building a flinter?  I've been looking over the Lyman and it looks decent and has good reviews, just not sure it's what I want.
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
What's your take on this rifle?  Looks like what I had in mind.  Only trouble is there out of the 54 cal barrel.  I like the iron furniture.  I supose I could order a 15/16th barrel from another supplier.  I did a search a while back and they didn't offer this in a left hand model.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/GunKitDetail.aspx?catID=13&subID=82&styleID=1073&PartNum=SOUTHERN-MOUNTAIN-LEFT-HAND-FLINT-PARTS-LIST&KitId=KIT-SML-15-40-FLINT&as=1
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
You could build a nice rifle from those parts. A 15/16"X42" straight octagon barrel is going to be pretty muzzle heavy but some like it that way. Since the barrel comes with no work done on it, breechplug, sight dovetails, underlugs, etc. then it wouldn't matter where you got it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »
I've also been looking a some others.  Does a swamped barrel really add that much balance to one?

Thanks,

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 06:07:09 AM »
Oh yes, a swamped barrel is a world of difference from a straight untapered barrel. In Green Mountain 42" barrels the .54 caliber swamped barrel is nearly one and one-half pounds lighter than a straight 15/16" barrel. That difference is all on your forward support hand and is very noticeable in off hand shooting. It's also noticeable in just carrying the gun, my Bucks County .54 longrifle with the 42" swamped barrel weighs just under 7 1/2 pounds total. Straight octagon barrels are OK up to 32", maybe 36" length but for a longrifle the swamped barrel has definite advantages. On the first rifle I ever built, back in about '71 I foolishly used a one inch straight octagon .54 caliber Douglas barrel 44" long and it was a beast. I eventually shortened it to 36" (not easily done on a finished rifle) and then it was just "tolerable".
 Of course it is more money, both for the barrel and for the inletting of the stock. If you decide to go with a swamped barrel I would definitely get the stock and barrel from the same source as different makers of swamped barrels do vary somewhat in the exact taper and diameters. Some but not all of "Track of the Wolf" kits are available with the option of a swamped barrel at extra cost of about one hundred bucks.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 11:52:27 AM »
Thanks, the more I think about it it's not that much more work inletting a swamped barrel.

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
Does Siler still make a left handed lock?  They used to.

PC

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
As far as I can tell Siler is about the only one that does.
www.courtneyknives.com