Author Topic: 45 ACP/Auto Rim load and .30 cal LBT bullet  (Read 1179 times)

Offline HHI 812

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
45 ACP/Auto Rim load and .30 cal LBT bullet
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:57:07 AM »
Veral,
Got a Super Blackhawk with a 45ACP/Auto Rim cylinder and wondered about the 1911 loads you spoke of for hunting. I just fill up the case with H110/296? Don't have to worry about slide functioning, and gun is strong. Better 230 gr faster or 255 gr slower? WFN or LFN at what velocity? Also what plain base .30 cal LBT design would you suggest for 1050 fps max for my 300 Whisper for best punch on game? What weight? Again, 1050 fps and slower to keep subsonic for silencer use.

Offline TommyD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 45 ACP/Auto Rim load and .30 cal LBT bullet
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:06:22 AM »
I won't presume to answer for Veral as to which is better.
But John Taffin has published some loads for the 45 ACP in a heavy revolver like the Ruger Blackhawk for both the 230 and 255 grain bullet weights.
You can find them at:
http://www.sixguns.com/range/45ACPSixguns.htm
Some of them are definitely out of the range of current reloading manuals.

And don't EVER let one of those find their way into an autoloader. The feed ramp of the 1911 leaves an area of the case unsupported. I once witnessed an over-pressure round rupture a case. It blew three live rounds out of the bottom of the magazine. The shooter was lucky in that he only sustained a few minor cuts to his hand. It could have been far worse...

Tom
--------------------------
NRA Life Member

Offline HHI 812

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: 45 ACP/Auto Rim load and .30 cal LBT bullet
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
Tom,
When I built an early 45 Super, I was using 308 Win cases cut to ACP length, and was just doing 1100 fps. In my Super Blackhawk 45 Colt/AR/ACP, when using 45 ACP brass, I only use standard loads i would shoot in my 1911 45 ACP. I use 45 AR brass when shooting 255 SWC bullets. I averaged 970 fps out of my 3-3/4" barrel, using 7 grains of Unique. Using the AR brass prevents me from putting hot loads in my 1911 by mistake. I am curious how Buffalo Bore is getting 1300 fps with a 255 grainer out of the 460 Rowland 1911 conversion? Even though brass is longer, OAL is same as ACP ammo. I do have a 460 Rowland conversion too, and waiting for the Buffalo Bore ammo to arrive. Will chrono and see if it's true. Seems to out do my 45 Colt load with same 255 gr bullet weights. Have to admit, my 340 grain with 21.0 296 does do 1000fps out of my 3-3/4". The heavy bullets is when the Colt case does better.

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: 45 ACP/Auto Rim load and optimum LBT hunting bullet for 300 whisper
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
  Since it's a revolver and feeding isn't a problem, the best bullet would be a WFN and I would lean toward at least a 260 gr.    A 280 gr would be even better if the cylinder length allows seating out to maintain optimum powder room.  Use the rimmed brass so you can crimp, or bullet pull will be a problem.  No need to try to magnumize it.  You should be able to get even a 280 gr out at 1100 fps with mild pressures, and that will knock Bambi on his canister with a delightful suddenness.

As for the Whisper.  There is not a good 30 caliber big game bullet for 1100 fps.  For all of you who are interested in subsonic supressed loads for game, please understand that there is NO advantage to a silencer on game, because.  With the report, which is very audible to game, your location and distence is proclaimed from the house tops, and they are instantly running at full throttle if the bullet doesn't hit an instant kill nerve.  In addition, the whack of a bullet against game, when there is not a loud muzzle blast to hide it, is heard, and everybody in the area is off with the wounded critter.  You don't get a chance on a second animal because of a suppresser.  (On the other hand, if the firearm makes a loud report, game is confused as to exactly where it came from, for a few seconds at least, in which time they die if the hit is good and the bullet performs well.  Consider what I'm saying if you are thinking suppressor, and don't forget to add in the ATF permit fee, every year forever, and likehood that they will come checking on you if there is a crime done anywhere near where you live.  Even if it's murder with a shotgun, for pity sakes!)
  Of coarse there is the very real advantage of being able to hunt where loud gunfire would irritate people, in which case a suppresser has real utility.  I've taken something around 10 deer using one, so I do have hands on experiance.   The best bullet I found was my WLN, wearing a softnose and with a 60 deg included angle hollow point drilled into the tip to induce instant expansion at the low impact speeds.  It consistently punched a 1 inch diameter hole through every deer I took and all were with chest shots.  Even steep angle shots exited, and no deer ran more than about 50 feet.

I've made quite a few 'heaviet possible' spitzers, with as much boat tail as I could make, but have never had a single sentence of feedback regarding accuracy or anything else about performance.  So, for right now, I'm recommending a gas checked bullet, simply because most customers will wring a bit more accuracy out of a gas checked, compared to plain base, and precision shot placement is VERY important with low power bullets.   If a customer wants to use a graceful spitzer to get maximum B.C. I can make them, and would recommend the use of tin lead, 20-1 and hollowpointed with a straight hole.  If this option is chosen, experiment with depth of the HP until the expanded bullet, shot into water or wet news print, is about 1 1/2 calibers.  I'd recommend a 3/32 diameter drill for the HP. 
Veral Smith